• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper Jacks

JR_Charger

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
I've got two that have a busted spring in the jacking mechanism - the original and one I got at a yard to replace the original. The yard one didn't last long before it broke in the same way. I've been reading around and apparently the spring is inaccessible without drilling rivets and grinding welds. I see used ones on eBay for various cars from $150-300 or more, and new ones for $150 that are for show only. Does anyone make a new, functional bumper jack? It looks like the world has moved on to floor jacks.

I got my Charger in '77 and stopped using my '70 bumper jack back in '78 and carried a hydraulic floor jack in the trunk.
That bumper jack was the second dangerous thing with these cars, the first being the gas pedal.:steering:

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about hydraulic jacks is that the oil is supposed to be changed at, uh, some frequent interval which I can't remember.

Google "Scissor Jack" You'll find many for very reasonable prices. Simple, Strong, Low clearance, and No mess. Have one in every vehicle I own.

I met a paraplegic who was under a car when the bumper jack gave way.... They should be put in with "asbestos " for dangerous

X2 on a scissor jack.
I have my original bumper jack stowed in place.
Just grab a scissor jack out of a yard. Later model impalas have a good one with plenty of lift height.
They store fine in the spare wheel backside.

I'm looking at a scissors jack kit out of a later model F150 pickup. They are in a nice heavy plastic
case that can be fastened down in the trunk so it doesn't beat the hell out of the quarters. Besides
that, people are asking crazy prices for their stock jacks.

The thing I don't like about hydraulic jacks is that the oil is supposed to be changed at, uh, some frequent interval which I can't remember.
Hydraulic oil only needs to be changed if it has degraded, which generally happens only due to excessive heat or contamination. Even if a piece of machinery suggests a 1000 hour change interval, it probably isn't really needed. You aren't going to get 1000 hours of use, or generate heat, with a hand pumped car jack. :)

Definitely a scissor jack out of a pic-a-part. My Great Grandmother was taking my brother n I back to Lubbock TX from El Paso TX in '75. Got a flat out in the middle of nowhere. I was 9, had watched my dad change a tire before and used the bumper jack from the '67 Coronet to change the tire. But nowadays, definitely a scissor jack.

Scissor jacks are relatively inexpensive and have to have good threads on the screws. Many years ago I had quite a collection of these jacks from all the Pintos and Fairmonts and still have at least one in each car except the Cadillac Hearse.
These are for emergencies only. Knock on wood that I have worked a lot using these and not had any issues. Simple and efficient tool. Just my opinion and experience and that’s all.

:thumbsup::steering: :luvplace: :rofl:

I met a paraplegic who was under a car when the bumper jack gave way.... They should be put in with "asbestos " for dangerous

Sad that he had to learn his lesson such a hard way, but HOLY COW, dude trusted his life to a bumper jack?!

What:(? Wow, I guess in 44 years my oil is past it's ''expiration'' date.

I actually read the instructions for once, probably because I had one cheapie floor jack fail for no reason, and the expiration date was in there. I think the oil is supposed to be changed yearly. No way I'm going to be able to keep up with that.

No one reproduce s that year they make 1968-70 Jack's no other years

Auto Transport Service
Back