• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA black plates

Montclaire

Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know an easy way to find out if CA plates can be registered? I have a set of 1963 plates I’d like to sell and most of the listings say they are free and clear to be registered in California.

Thanks

Yes. It’s called YOM. Tedious but possible at DMV/Ellis Island. Plates starting with A begin in 63. Starting with Z through the end of 69. The middle is flexible.

Anyone know an easy way to find out if CA plates can be registered? I have a set of 1963 plates I’d like to sell and most of the listings say they are free and clear to be registered in California.

Thanks

Call the main California DMV in Sacramento at this number - 800-777-0133 - and use the callback prompt. They will call you back within a couple of hours and tell you right then.

Yes it can be done in CA. Any vehicle before 1972 pretty much, even blue plates. It's not hard if you have the will to do it. Certain circumstances can make it harder or impossible, those have more to do with the vehicle history than the plates tho. Read about it here

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...lates/year-of-manufacture-yom-license-plates/

I have a 1969 Kawasaki motorcycle I fixed up and am currently in the process of registering it to a set of DMV clear blue plates I found at a swap meet.

Last edited:
Joe is from Scranton. He’d know.

25EDFB48-5E53-4C66-8A1E-0F2437C56D40.png

Looks like they are going on the wall, the number has already been reissued. Thanks for the replies.

Auto Transport Service
Back