• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Bans Chrome Plating! WTF!

I imagine it is a bit easier to plate in Mexico.
And THERE is your answer, Ladies and Germs it all goes over the border to Tijuana. There are already chrome shops in NW Mexico that will up their game.

And THERE is your answer, Ladies and Germs it all goes over the border to Tijuana. There are already chrome shops in NW Mexico that will up their game.
I have seen a bread truck get upholstered in fuzzy green in Mexico.

I will miss the High quality of Bumper Boyz ! LOL

I am from Germany and I can say you that it will be banned here for sure until 2025. They already work on alternatives for the hexavalant (CrVI) - the trivalent chrome (CrIII). It is 1000 times non toxic than CrVI. BUT the maintenance is much harder and more expensive. The liquid is very sensitive. The biggest problem is that CrIII layers do not give you the same anti-corrosion protection than CrVI. CrVI passivates by itself as soon as you take it out of the liquid. CrIII does not, so they try to do this with a special liquid. They already produced something like this but it does not reach the corrosion protection of CrVI.

Since I am a electroplater I can say that out of experience. I already worked with both of them and let me tell you the CrVI is much easier than the CrIII.

Does anyone know the specific, apparently new, environmental issue with chrome plating. Is it air emissions and associated cost for controls or lack of available controls?

Does anyone know the specific, apparently new, environmental issue with chrome plating. Is it air emissions and associated cost for controls or lack of available controls?
It's the danger of the chemicals used I am sure. Skin contact, breathing fumes etc. See @Yennes ' post #27.

Read the articles. Yep. Plating air emissions affecting the community. Hard to imagine.

CrVI is carcinogenic. On the one hand, it is very dangerous to work with it because of the gases that are produced when chromium is separated from the liquid, and on the other hand, skin contact is very dangerous. In addition, CrVI is not good for the environment and the chemical compound is difficult to destroy to make it non-toxic.

@BSB67 it is not "new". In europe they talk about it since 20 years but there was never an alternative. However, since there is now an alternative, it is insisted that it be applied.
That's just about what's going on in Europe right now. Possibly the same in the US?

Not new here either. But the ban is new.

Auto Transport Service
Back