• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper seal kit...anyone recognize this?

DrewTX

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the calipers on my 1971 Charger using Raybestos Seal Kit WK520. It came with 3 seals, whereas other manufactures show only two. The thin lower is clearly the inner, but there look like two different outer. One has a rigid metal insert inside the rubber, the other is very flexible. The first pic is raybestos, and the second is another brand. Man...the aftermarket parts business is a pain. I guess I should use which ever appear to fit better? Why would they supply it this way??? Any thoughts?

agb-wk520_kh_xl.jpg
CE_14364009_Kit.jpg

The most important one is the square o ring the other is a dust shield so use the one that fits best

OK, what you are dealing with is a universal kit that fits a much broader spectrum of cars. The piston (steel or phenolic) used in your car was the same all the way through late seventies. So the square seal for the piston fits all. The outer seal (dust boot) fits the specific caliper type, usually the difference is whether you have a pin style or slide style caliper. With the metal reinforced seal you place the seal on the piston and then install piston into caliper, then set the seal in the caliper bore with a boot seal installer. With the other style you install it into the caliper first and the wet the piston with brake fluid and using slight air pressure to inflate the seal while holding the piston over the seal will cause the seal to balloon up and over the piston allowing you to then drive the piston into the caliper bore. Trust me, back in the day I lost count on how many caliper/wheel cylinders I rebuilt. Especially during the phenolic piston days.

Auto Transport Service
Back