• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling it a Day Retirement

That may be true in your case....

View attachment 1246974

It isn't the case in my field of construction. The majority of younger guys don't work as hard, don't work as smart and don't have the "can do" mentality that many in my generation do.
When I was a cub on the job, I worked every second I could. I first started building houses and it was bust *** or they let you go. I remember working on crews with older guys and if it looked like rain they would nailed a dollar bill to the floor and if it got 10 drops of rain on it, to the house we would go. On some crews, I would get soaking wet, dry in the sun and rained on again before the end of the day. That's why I went to building furniture and advertising displays, inside and mostly, I had a 5 foot by 10 foot bench and made my name on what rolled off the end of it, by myself.

With the New Year I'll be 63, informed the Boss as of February I'm calling it a Day. 21yrs NYCPD & 13yrs Executive Protection in NYC. Applied for my SSI early. Not sure of everything yet, so day by day I go.
Just saw this Pops, congratulations!
Also, I didn't know you were a LEO, so much respect for your service, my dad is a retired LEO from the New Orleans Police department, and got through his 20+ years of service with his life, and I thank God for that.
I hope you enjoy the time off, but it's difficult for many LEOs to fully retire.
My dad did a couple of years with the Federal Marshall service as security at the Federal Court House and loved it.

Congratulations Pops! I was born and raised in Jamaica, Queens during the 60s and 70s. Law enforcement today isn't what is was. Glad you got out in one piece.

Damn NYC traffic

too many damn commuters

That traffic looked as bad as the Bay Bridge between Oakland & SF
Golden Gate from Sonoma or Napa regions going west in the AM

or any of the adjoining hwys into it 17/I-80 or the 680/580 junctions
going south to Freemont, Milpitas or San Jose etc.

or hwy 680/24 thru NorCal East Bay area, everyone from the suburbs
Concord, Walnut Creek, Lafayette to Orinda
& all/many attempting to go thru the Caldicot Tunnel etc.

or from Alamo, Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Livermore etc.
full of people sitting in their cars
for an hour/min. or more from even farther east like
hwy 4, from Brentwood, Oakley, Antioch, Pittsburg,

then there's all the damn crazies
that commute an extra 80-100+ miles further from points east from
Sacramento & points east, just for a damn JOB...

I put that **** in my rearview mirror, back in the later 90's,
& it's only gotten worse...

Funny I don't miss that work-related **** & I really liked to work...
Spent way too many hrs sitting in traffic or waiting in an airport...
Even when I only lived 4 or/to 40 miles away...

Glad I gave all that **** up...
Mostly back in 1997 'I semi-retired' (38),
I born raised & lived in Concord for most my life up-to then &
I moved east to Rancho Murieta CC/Sloughhouse (eastern Sac. Valley)
to pursue a Professional golf career, downsize do more consulting
instead of the physical crap, use my brain/education/experience
instead of my brawn...
(I still did construction jobs, just on my terms)
I worked or tried to, mostly from home,
with a large automotive dealership group, I was contracted with...
Started a golf business & raced a bunch more...
Spent more time with the kids, dogs etc., instead of sitting in traffic...
Retired even more so in 2007, empty nest & I still worked some,
when I moved up here 'to the sticks'...
I finally fully retired in July 2021, at 62...

I miss the people, not much else...

Well that is one positive for COVID from the last 2 years. Traffic going West from all points Bay Area has been much better. Even so, that I why I have been working grave yards for the last 21 years.

2 hours into NYC to pickup last pay check & 1hour 45 back home. I will not miss this traffic. The funny thing, I have had more job offers since informing company & friends..

today my wife left instruction on how to use the coffeemaker, to make dinner & clean the garage. I made coffee so far....
I would give you this advice Pops - Don’t move too fast. One thing at a time. Making coffee can be strenuous - ease in and work up to things. Maybe next month you can clean the coffee pot….

Laundry instruction:
washing-30 minutes
Drying -60 minutes
Putting away clothing a few days later was incorrect.

Missed this thread!! HAPPY RETIREMENT @Pops1967GTX !! Long time being with NYCPD!! Now keep doing "...what the hell you want to do...when AND if you want to do it..." Keep the sweet ladies" coming, it seems you and the @Kern Dog DO have eyes for the LADIES!! :D

I also just saw this, congrats on your retirement. I also live in Monroe NY and my dad was NYPD. My son graduated last May from John Jay with a degree in Criminal Justice and is taking the NY State Troopers test in April. He always wanted to follow in his grandfathers foot steps but with the way things are now I'm a bit worried for him. Enjoy your down time you earned it!!

I also just saw this, congrats on your retirement. I also live in Monroe NY and my dad was NYPD. My son graduated last May from John Jay with a degree in Criminal Justice and is taking the NY State Troopers test in April. He always wanted to follow in his grandfathers foot steps but with the way things are now I'm a bit worried for him. Enjoy your down time you earned it!!

I hope to see you at bear Mountain car show this summer...

I told my boss on Friday, that June 30th would be my last day. He followed up with “how much would it take for you to stay?”.

I paused and said it’s “not about the money.”

1 July I’ll be a retired guy!

I told my boss on Friday, that June 30th would be my last day. He followed up with “how much would it take for you to stay?”.

Congratulations!

I truly admire all you guys that did it, or about to.
I was 64 last November and still haven’t a single clue why I’m afraid to retire, part is I still love working I guess.
(Probably need counseling)
Congrats to all of you!
Retiring is a big deal and should never be taken lightly. I was 52 and my world took a crap on me, so I walked to the edge, looked both ways and stepped off. It's most always about the money and fear of life altering change. You can't do something all your life, then stop and it not affect a routine that becomes who you are, it defines who you are. I had the best job in the world, did what I wanted, when I wanted, if I wanted and how I wanted. All those reasons made me work harder because of the trust, I was truly trusted. This is about you and not the job, you can be replaced and will be. I needed my broker to tell me all this and that I would be fine, of course I knew all this, but reassurance is your best friend. If your money's right, job be damned, go home. Life is short, turn the page....... Just something to think about.

Congratulations!

Hey-O, it’s like we have met had a few beers and you know my work life (which appears very much like yours and many others)
I have 29yrs at this company, am trusted by the owners and BOD’s who I report to, still enjoy what I do, and the employees I get to train and work with.
You give very sage examples and experiences that I can relate to.
My wife and accountant ask, “what are you waiting for?”
I guess it will be when I stop having fun at it is my standard answer to them.
This company has given me everything I have given them, and I struggle thinking about not being a part of it some day. Our company has 450 employees of which only 18% left are us boomers who the owners request us to please stay.
The day will come that I stand at the edge that you did.

Good for you Pops, I retired at 63 back in 2013 and was bored to death. Did several years at Walmart as a Service Writer until my wife got really bad. Enjoy all your free time and memories, they will always be with you.

28 ..... pffft! I'm at 43 years & 2 months at the same job and I'm finally calling it quits at the end of April.
So are you still retiring at the end of April ?
getting close...

Auto Transport Service
Back