• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam change, ideas?

70bigblockdodge

Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting my stock stroke 440 back together. Years ago it ran a 292/509 Mopar performance cam and lightly ported heads. Ran good I never had a converter or decent trans for that matter. Things came up the car came apart for improvements. I ended up changing to TRW six pack pistons and accumulated a old school ported 906 heads. So long story long I ended up at 11.04:1 measured compression ratio, heads have 2.14/1.81, are not opened enough to need epoxy spots but close. Eddy Torker II intake, mildly ported. 800 Holley DP. My intent was to use a old Mopar Performance 296/.557 cam(used). Upon degreeing in the cam I noticed some pitting on a couple of lobes, I had been on the fence about using this cam, and have always been lucky when it comes to used parts. This one has me concerned. Rocker arms are Isky iron adjustable. I would like to stay somewhere around the Mopar .557 cam range, maybe bring the rpm range down a bit, no need to sling those big heavy TRW/speed pro slugs above 7k.
Don't want to cause feuding, and I'm not stroking it changing the heads to aluminum, so don't ask. This engine is staying the way it is till I wear it out or window the block. Just looking to see what other people's thoughts on which way I should go with a cam in that area (modern profile to improve on Mopar Performance cam). Converter is around 3800 rpm with a less powerful engine, rear gear is 4.10 with 28" tires, car weighs ~3400# with my fat *** in it, I'm hoping anyway.

It sounds like a good combo. The TRW's are no problem if you keep it below 6500 RPM. Check out the Bullet cam profiles for the .904 lifter. A mid .500 lift with mild ported 906 heads will make 500 + HP.

I ran a .557 cam in a 440 and loved it. At least until it wiped 2 lobes after about 2 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back