• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam question

5BAE016A-EE40-4463-AE00-84EAD076C136.gif

a bit of misleading info here, in this thread

S&S Cycle is who bought Crane Cams
& all their intellectual property 2009-ish
Not Comp Cams
also many of the same engineers are still there too
they still do camshafts of many kinds, not Just the Harley Drag stuff/S&S
(I had Crane as a sponsor for some 20+ years)

Edelbrock Group
(another sponsor I had for 20+ years)
acquired 'Comp Performance Group' (Comp Cams)
they also recently acquired 'Air Flow Research' (AFR)
their main business is now in Olive Branch, Mississippi,
move corporate from their foundry SoCal offices San Jacinto/Cerritos Ca. (IIRC)
alleged future plans is to have it there
TCI, FAST, RHS, Russell, ZEX & Lunati among others,
they even have wheels now, some cool wheels too,
like the old Halibrand
& a couple other names I've forget

Last edited:
Not familiar w cam dynamics but have a old General Kinectics on the shelf that is 316@ .020 with that same lift. To my recollection...when we measured .050 it was 270/270. Really hard to say what is is since no .050 is listed. Going bigger on displacement would tame it down a bunch. Really need 500+ cubes to calm down street manners. 108 isn't helping.
That looks really close to the 312/590 purple solid, agree; likely somewhere around 270° at .050. Needs a real radical 383 around it. 500" would be better.
I'd try for a (cheaper, purple cams have gone insane$$$) .528 solid clone, from somebody like lunati.

a bit of misleading info here, in this thread

S&S Cycle is who bought Crane Cams
& all their intellectual property 2009-ish
Not Comp Cams
also many of the same engineers are still there too
they still do camshafts of many kinds, not Just the Harley Drag stuff/S&S
(I had Crane as a sponsor for some 20+ years)

Edelbrock Group
(another sponsor I had for 20+ years)
acquired 'Comp Performance Group' (Comp Cams)
they also recently acquired 'Air Flow Research' (AFR)
their main business is now in Olive Branch, Mississippi,
move corporate from their foundry SoCal offices San Jacinto/Cerritos Ca. (IIRC)
alleged future plans is to have it there
TCI, FAST, RHS, Russell, ZEX & Lunati among others,
they even have wheels now, some cool wheels too,
like the old Halibrand
& a couple other names I've forget
You are correct...in part, but missing what happened next. S&S cycle did have crane...main interest was the harley motorcycle ign&cams, but that changed around 2014 or so. Somewhere around there the automotive side was purchased by comp cams...by '16 comp was publicly saying they owned cranes automotive cams...F.a.s.t.(division of comp) got cranes ignition stuff. Not sure on all the details. But crane cams are coming from comp. Some vendors even advertise it(circled below) Hope it clears it up a little but sadly, crane was basically broken up..not sure really what exists yet of crane?
Screenshot_20230516_210646_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering what happened to S&S cycle and the crane relationship: guess this answers it:

Screenshot_20230516_230210_Chrome.jpg

You are correct...in part, but missing what happened next. S&S cycle did have crane...main interest was the harley motorcycle ign&cams, but that changed around 2014 or so. Somewhere around there the automotive side was purchased by comp cams...by '16 comp was publicly saying they owned cranes automotive cams...F.a.s.t.(division of comp) got cranes ignition stuff. Not sure on all the details. But crane cams are coming from comp. Some vendors even advertise it(circled below) Hope it clears it up a little but sadly, crane was basically broken up..not sure really what exists yet of crane?View attachment 1466072
I should have said 'Had' purchased them...

all under the Edelbrock banner/umbrella of companies now (not S&S anymore)

:thankyou:
good info

Screenshot_20230517_143318_Chrome.jpg

Same grind#, same specs, and this man says they(comp) shared programs with CD.
Myth busted case closed.

I’ve run a similar, but slightly smaller cam in my high compression, 4 speed, 383 street car w/ 3.91s. With the lash opened up to 0.034”, It was really okay.

That said, with a slightly larger cam like you have, and an automatic, I don’t think you’ll find joy on the street, if that’s the goal

Auto Transport Service
Back