• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam & Rockers

Rick69

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
This is probably an amateur question.
I have a 1969 440. I have only had this car for 6 years. I don't know who or when the motor was rebuilt. There is a light tapping especially when cold. There is also a little oil seepage past the factory valve covers. I removed the valve covers to take a look and replace the gaskets. I discovered there are individual adjustable rockers. I believe the factory set up used a rocker shaft with self adjusting lifters. I don't feel any looseness when I rotate the cam to base lobes so I'm thinking this is a hydraulic cam and lifters.
How would I tell for certain? Push on the rocker and see if there is any collapse?
If they are hydraulic, what is the best way to adjust? Would I check the adjustment with the engine cold or should I run it for a little bit first?
What would be the correct amount of adjustment? Take the play out of the pushrod and then go another 3/4 turn?
Appreciate any advice.
Ricky

Just get one valve completely closed and you should be able to push down on the push rod a bit. It will be stiff but with steady pressure you should be able to compress the lifter slightly and it will start to feel spongy. Most cams with hydraulic lifters will need about one turn from zero lash on a 3/8 fine 3/8-24 adjuster screw. Just google adjustment procedures and watch some videos. One common way which might be easier for you is the Mopar procedure.

valve adj..jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back