• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this cam?

1ol74charger4me

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a like new small block cam but no way to ID it so I thought I would post the numbers on it in hopes someone could ID it. It has C2, D2, and 87 cast into it by the distributor gear. It also has CD-936 and 69-40-87 stamped in the end of it. Any help appreciated.

Any idea on the brand?
If you have a pair of dial calipers, you can measure the base circle, then the lobe. Subtract the base from the lobe and then multiply it by 1.5. This will give you an idea of the lift #s and maybe steer you to finding the rest of the specs.

If you decide to use it, make sure you absolutely know what kind of cam it is. A SOLID lifter cam needs SOLID lifters. A hydraulic cam needs haydraulic lifters. You will also need either NEW lifters or the same ones run on that cam in exactly the same order. You cannot swap flat tappet lifters around from lobe to lobe without risking cam lobe or lifter failure.
Wasn't sure if you knew this, Sorry if the warning is redundant.

If you decide to use it, make sure you absolutely know what kind of cam it is. A SOLID lifter cam needs SOLID lifters. A hydraulic cam needs haydraulic lifters. You will also need either NEW lifters or the same ones run on that cam in exactly the same order. You cannot swap flat tappet lifters around from lobe to lobe without risking cam lobe or lifter failure.
Wasn't sure if you knew this, Sorry if the warning is redundant.
Thanks. I know it's hydraulic and have the ordered lifters but i'm looking for specs to see if it will work in my car. It's probably some big car shaker but it was free.

Seriously you need to find out all you can about that shaft before even thinking about using it. There is a reason for camshafts being called the brain of the engine and not all cam`s are alike. Before choosing a cam you have a lot of things to consider in making absolutely sure it will work with your other parts. Making power is all about using the correct combination of part.

I had a similar problem not long ago where I bought a 69 superbee that had a 383ci engine. Supposedly the engine had been through a machine shop and some mild race work done to it. When I took it apart I also found a can with very little info. I wrote down all the info and went to my computer where I started plugging the numbers into my search engine. As I played with the numbers in different sequences I started seeing similar numbers to Lunati cams. I then looked up Lunati`s ph no. and gave them a call. Sure nuff it was one of they`re grinds. I gave them all the info and my ph no. A couple hours later they called me back with all the info on the shaft. Low and behold the cam was actually to big for a 383ci engine in mild form on the street. But, it will make for a great street camshaft in a 440 ci on the street in a mild build.

Not knowing lift, duration and over lap can cause vtp problems depending on the valve sizes on head angles. Vtp needs to be checked regardless of the build but to just toss something in with out knowing anything about it could be suicide, so not only do you need to know the compatiability with our other parts you also need to know how the thing fits mechanically so as not to cause premature failure due to piston to valve contact or something similar. Jmtc

V block it on the bench and measure the lift with a dial indicator. That should give an indication of the general size of the cam. In other words, if it's .480 lift, it's a safe bet it aint got 250 duration @ .050.

Got my answer from a guy who works for Crane. It's a Cam Dynamics blueprint grind for a 275 horse 340. Just about perfect for my car. It's like new and it was free with lifters. Awesome.

Auto Transport Service
Back