• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone HELP me help someone ???

Watching a video that someone sent him does not make him an enthusiast, not by a long shot.
He's owned the car since it was new, met his wife with that car, is 76 years old, and is trying to restore it. Seems to me, he is pretty enthusiastic about this car.
He whined for a couple days that he couldn't do it, so I would think he tried for a couple days, and once he saw the video, he realized he was doing it wrong and that's why it didn't go together for him.
Is my interpretation of what I read, off by a long shot too?

Last edited:
He's owned the car since it was new, met his wife with that car, is 76 years old, and is trying to restore it. Seems to me, he is pretty enthusiastic about this car.
He whined for a couple days that he couldn't do it, so I would think he tried for a couple days, and once he saw the video, he realized he was doing it wrong and that's why it didn't go together for him.
Is my interpretation of what I read, off by a long shot too?

Guess it depends on low you put the bar. I guess if you think looking something up on the internet yourself is hard in your book.

I don't think KD said that the guy actually fixed the problem, but just watched the video and acknowledged that he was doing wrong. Either way, it really does not matter in my book.

Maybe I've become jaded after so many people that take advantage of me, I'm on the bandwagon. My father was a cheapskate. And hated working on cars. So, he wouldn't fix the car, and didn't want to pay for it either. He was so bad, that he wouldn't change the oil, saying he's too fat. But, he wouldn't pay for it either. So, he would ruin the engine. After decades of this behavior, my uncle stopped coming to his rescue. So I got stuck with it. Never an offer to help, never an offer to pay. Always had some reason why he couldn't do it. I didn't expect him to do major repairs, just maybe change the plugs or oil, so I didn't have to do major repairs to his car while I had a crazy wife, 2 boys, my own house, cars, and a full time job. Also, no thanks. It was expected.
A friend up the street I've known for 30 years never comes around, unless something happens to his "racecar Duster" then, he calls my cell, then my house, then comes beating on the door. I tell him I've gotten sick, and not up to what I was able to do. Never asked what happened, just his car had an issue.
He calls me a week later, wanting me to weld some bolts to his collectors. At 5 pm on Sunday. I had gotten a piece of metal in my eye, and the doc says no welding for a week or so. I told my " friend " I could do it next week. He argued with me for almost an hour, until I had enough, and told him i was getting off the phone. It's always about them, and no concern for you. Finish the suspension with him, then move on.

I used to get thrown, now and then, since I had always figured if I could do it, why the hell you can't. But, lesson learned, some can't, afraid of it, even dangerous with a tool in their hand.
76 years old...hope I can do my thing, when I get there, 6 years to go. At least he's using his own hands, nothing wrong with that. Hat's off to ya, Kern Dog, for sticking with it!
Messing with these things, it's all step by step. If he understands that, no matter who does it, maybe...

I haven't read this entire thread. So, forgive me if someone already suggested this.

Get the guy's family involved and get in touch with one of the many TV shows that send a crew to your house to help you finish a stalled project or help if you've fallen ill or other legitimate reason cannot fix your car yourself.

Overhaulin, Stacy David's Gearz, Garage Squad, to name a few.

Auto Transport Service
Back