• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you tell what this engine (383) and Trans (727) may have been in (originally)--I have numbers

hofferwood

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I bought a '66 Satellite, orig. 318 car. Fresh motor (383) rebuild. I ask the guy who did the motor, what all was done?-------I dunno, but it's got a purple cam. What did the trans come out of?----I dunno, but it's got a purple cam. Rear end?--- I dunno, I got it in a divorce deal.
So I was hoping I could find out what they may have started life in, plus another question or two.
He said there is less than 90miles on the build.

348245514_1004277344315171_4631406089591324657_n.jpg

355588364_819046503219353_441759153739307518_n.jpg

355600626_6424589117633133_685545458254126608_n.jpg

And now the trans.

372394445_1034588371308610_1741329232940515994_n.jpg

vin.JPG

Untitled.jpg

The trans lost third gear in the first few miles---I never even got to tromp on it---lol. So we pull the trans and see this written on top.

72rr 440.JPG

Here's why I'm happy the trans let go.

P1010013.JPG

I wonder why I had some BAD vibration, I was thinking of all the bad motor build f.u's it could be, but---------here's yer sign---lol
Here's my question, if I chuck this t.c. up in the mill and remove that big ole weight would this then be a neutral balanced torque convertor?

Thanks for lookin.
Chuck

Ps Why no third.

P1010004.JPG

70 383 magnum.
440 cast crank weight convertor .
Yep grind/cut/mill the weight off and you're fine. Not really a performance converter though. Might not help the " purple cam" that the guy liked talking about

Lightly drill or die grind the two spot welds and it will pop right off. Now you got a neutral balance converter full of crap.

Trans is 71-72 C body 440. So that is a great trans to have.

engine is from LA plant so it’s from a B or E body with N code engine 4bbl.

Trans is 71-72 C body 440. So that is a great trans to have.
This is my first auto rebuild.
Would that explain 9 springs in the front clutch and a 4 pinion front planetary?
I might add, I believe this trans was redone and has low miles on it. All the thrust bearings look beautiful and mic right in, same with the bushings.
The front clutch toasted because the outer seal rolled on install, and the inner seal felt like an o-ring, not a lip seal.
Thanks, and thanks to @RemCharger and @pnora .

Would that explain 9 springs in the front clutch and a 4 pinion front planetary?
I might add, I believe this trans was redone and has low miles on it. All the thrust bearings look beautiful and mic right in, same with the bushings.
The front clutch toasted because the outer seal rolled on install, and the inner seal felt like an o-ring, not a lip seal.
Most likely yes. Depending on the type of rebuild and the wide range of parts interchange there can be many different combinations.

Yeah, 9 springs are good. That is what I used on most of my rebuilds. 4 pinion front plantary is also good, since trans was originally on a 440. It will also have 4 pinion rear planetary. Check and see what kickdown lever you have: it will likely be a 3.8. On my rebuilds, if it was a 3.2 or 2.9, I replaced them with 4.2. 5.0 is pretty harsh. Too bad about the buggered clutch seals. This is why it is important to air test the clutch packs and servos. A & A Transmissions has a kit to pack 5 clutches into a 4 clutch drum. I have used them with no complaints. Just thinner clutch discs and steelies.

Yeah, 9 springs are good. That is what I used on most of my rebuilds. 4 pinion front plantary is also good, since trans was originally on a 440. It will also have 4 pinion rear planetary. Check and see what kickdown lever you have: it will likely be a 3.8. On my rebuilds, if it was a 3.2 or 2.9, I replaced them with 4.2. 5.0 is pretty harsh. Too bad about the buggered clutch seals. This is why it is important to air test the clutch packs and servos. A & A Transmissions has a kit to pack 5 clutches into a 4 clutch drum. I have used them with no complaints. Just thinner clutch discs and steelies.
Thanks Dave6t4
3.8 and all is ready to go in, clutch packs are air tested, I had to put a log lip seal in the inner forward clutch, the short lip leaked.
What you see below l/r servo piston is holding me up from putting anything more together. Should be here tomorrow (new one).
Transgo TF-1 is what I'm in the middle of.

l-r servo.JPG

It’s been my experience that 440 low perf C-bodies 727 have a 4 pinion front planet and a 3 pinion rear.

Then the 440 HP trans had 4 pinion planets front and rear.

I’ve done hundreds of 727 rebuilds.

It’s been my experience that 440 low perf C-bodies 727 have a 4 pinion front planet and a 3 pinion rear.

I’ve done hundreds of 727 rebuilds.
That's what she's got---4 and 3. But I have no plans to race, maybe a trip to Milan Dragway once a year.
As I said, this is my first, but I did whip up a handy dandy trans flipper---lol

adapt1.JPG

adapt2.JPG

That low/reverse servo piston looks like the transmission has been running with the kickdown lever tied back. Reverse circuit can run up around 300 psi. with the lever tied back. Make sure you have the right kick down linkage. I have seen a few of those in my day.

That low/reverse servo piston looks like the transmission has been running with the kickdown lever tied back. Reverse circuit can run up around 300 psi. with the lever tied back. Make sure you have the right kick down linkage. I have seen a few of those in my day.
Thanks for that info Dave, the factory linkage was floppin around in the wind.So I made up some adapters, so now it follows the throttle as it should.

Auto Transport Service
Back