• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Build Tag - 1964 Dodge

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the build tag on my Windsor, Ontario-built 1964 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop. You will notice that it is quite different from U.S. tag.
VD2-H-43 V = 1964 D = Dodge 2 = V8 H = Polara 43 = 4-door hardtop
Body # 453 of 797 4-door hardtops assembled in Windsor
Paint Code NN ??? my car is red, always has been; I thought code would be PP
Trim Code H6X H6 = bucket seats in Polara 4-door hardtop or sedan X = black

My U.S. shop manual shows no paint code N. I don't think paint codes differed between Canada and U.S. I stripped paint down to bare metal myself, and there was no other color than red on it. Has anyone have explanation for N paint code?

My 4-door hardtop has factory installed bucket seats and console as part of optional Sport Package in lieu of Polara 500 not being available yet in Canada. These H6 seats do not fold ahead for rear seat access as buckets meant for 2-door car would. Also, they resemble the narrow, tapered seats used in 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury, rather than Polara 500 seats. Rear seat is bolstered to give impression of buckets as well, like 1963 Sport Fury rear seat. As I am second owner of this car, I know these are original to car.

Note that VIN is not listed on build tag. Mine starts 5349.
5 = Dodge 3 = Polara 4 = 1964 9 = Windsor assembly plant
U.S. Polara VIN started with 63, and Polara 500 VIN started with 64
Canada actually assembled some Polara 500 after the start of calendar year 1964. These had the swirled outside stainless trim and front fender Polara 500 signs, but retained the 4 round gauge Plymouth instrument cluster that other Windsor-built Dodges had. Rather than create a separate series for these Polara 500's, Canada treated them as an option on the Polara line, retaining the "53" VIN. Thus, the actual number of Canadian-built Polara 500's will likely never be known. The availability of the 500 option on the Polara line likely killed the Sport Option package that my car was built with.

P5120005.JPG P5120004.JPG 1964 Dodge.jpg

I was just looking at ours this weekend, thinking about your car (same but red interior). I should have looked at the fender tag. Will try to next time.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the build tag on my Windsor, Ontario-built 1964 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop. You will notice that it is quite different from U.S. tag.
VD2-H-43 V = 1964 D = Dodge 2 = V8 H = Polara 43 = 4-door hardtop
Body # 453 of 797 4-door hardtops assembled in Windsor
Paint Code NN ??? my car is red, always has been; I thought code would be PP
Trim Code H6X H6 = bucket seats in Polara 4-door hardtop or sedan X = black

My U.S. shop manual shows no paint code N. I don't think paint codes differed between Canada and U.S. I stripped paint down to bare metal myself, and there was no other color than red on it. Has anyone have explanation for N paint code?

My 4-door hardtop has factory installed bucket seats and console as part of optional Sport Package in lieu of Polara 500 not being available yet in Canada. These H6 seats do not fold ahead for rear seat access as buckets meant for 2-door car would. Also, they resemble the narrow, tapered seats used in 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury, rather than Polara 500 seats. Rear seat is bolstered to give impression of buckets as well, like 1963 Sport Fury rear seat. As I am second owner of this car, I know these are original to car.

Note that VIN is not listed on build tag. Mine starts 5349.
5 = Dodge 3 = Polara 4 = 1964 9 = Windsor assembly plant
U.S. Polara VIN started with 63, and Polara 500 VIN started with 64
Canada actually assembled some Polara 500 after the start of calendar year 1964. These had the swirled outside stainless trim and front fender Polara 500 signs, but retained the 4 round gauge Plymouth instrument cluster that other Windsor-built Dodges had. Rather than create a separate series for these Polara 500's, Canada treated them as an option on the Polara line, retaining the "53" VIN. Thus, the actual number of Canadian-built Polara 500's will likely never be known. The availability of the 500 option on the Polara line likely killed the Sport Option package that my car was built with.

View attachment 1109411 View attachment 1109412 View attachment 1109413
20220403_143455.jpg

1964 code NN Is flame red.
DQE-7217, Ditzler code is a Canadian code, not used in the USA.
CIL-2352-2309, later in the year became 2333-2312. Same code used in 1965. I believe this applied to other colours as well.
Reliance Garage in Preeceville Saskatchewan sold a NN 64 VD2 (383 auto) H-43. It was the talk of the town, until later a fellow bought a 64 Polara 383 4 spd convertible, buckets, console, white, red interior and I think a black top. The buyer let it stay in the showroom for over a week, so people in the area could see it.
I had a red/red white top Polara 383 auto convertible it was ready for final paint when I sold it to a good home.

Auto Transport Service
Back