• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Members

I'm going to break things up a bit. I'm in Vancouver/Maple Ridge. Everyone have a Merry Christmas, spend time with family and friends, and take it easy on the rum and eggnogs.

I wonder how many of you guys in my area are people I've walked past at car shows...

Had some stuff sent to Massena to the tune of $400 so headed down with a buddy. I knew I was going to get dinged for taxes. Pulled up to the Canadian Customs in Cornwall and it went something like this:

Where you coming from?
Massena.
How long you been there?
A couple of hours.
What is the total value of the goods being brought back?
"Christmas gifts" worth $400 (here it comes).
Any alcohol or tobacco?
No sir.
Have a nice day.

Have a nice day!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Those guys in Cornwall rock!!!!

http://www.cbiusa.com
Above is a great service for anyone close to Niagara Falls NY.

I've seen some comments here about the free trade agreement. For anyone who is not familiar; most items built/made within North America are Duty Free. This was obviously to promote economic prosperity between our countries. Not always ideal depending on the company/product but with Canada and the US trading over a Billion Dollars a day and being the largest trading partners in the world; it's helping on both sides for many.

Be aware though that the typical sales tax is what Canada Customs is still required to collect unless you have been 48hrs or more in the US and then you're exempt for $800 duty free. And just a note regarding the variety of customs officers you may encounter: (and I am not one but travel often to visit family in the US) They are like any other Govt/security sevice and end up with a few unique individuals like all of us have known or worked with over the years regardless of what we do. What to remember is they have a job to do so be respectful and truthful. Most will appreciate the honesty with so many people trying to BS them all the time. And also remember that they read internet posts also and are well aware of all of the tactics/comments etc. By praising those who are just letting you go and criticizing the actual goof who happens to be doing the job to the letter, you are forcing the fair common sense officers to lose their flexibility. A better option is to comment on the rudeness and stupidity of the goof and praise the good officers for being fair while still doing their job. A little respect goes a long way with an organization tasked to protect our border(s) while having to enforce some very antiquated consumer laws that allow "many" business's to exploit consumers here in Canada by reducing our purchasing options. Companies on both sides of our border deserve a certain level of protection but we are too familiar in this country with often paying upwards of 50% or more above US retail costs. Customs Officers are consumers too and are well aware we are getting screwed in this country so remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. In the end you will only have to pay for what is required unless you're deceitful and then it can get stupid.

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents on over 30yrs of crossing the border. If we want to fix getting screwed by greedy companies :icon_fU: and legislation that falsely protects "Culture" and Canadian interests then we need to be smarter consumers or put the pressure on the politicians who allow this crap. This thread is a great start on the first part!

Oh, and I have a 68 Coronet:hello2:

Last edited:
Sunny Southern Alberta here....or is that WINDY Southern Alberta! Anyway I have a bud who regularly goes down to Sweetgrass Montana. He saves us a ton of money with shipping this way. "Free shipping in the lower 48", but once it hits the border....look out.

i have yet been ding for customs taxes at the windsor border crossing but throught the mail look out they nail you ever penny.took the storage depot in niagra falls ny n having items shipped there that someone said they were using on here.have had no problems yet.

Merry Christmas from Conn, Ontario. We have 75 Charger and 79 Magnum and have brought stuff up from the US a lot of different ways and also have gone across the border to pick up and sometimes you get dinged and sometimes you get lucky. Haven't tried Summit since they hooked up with FedEx but we have been very lucky getting parts from Rock Auto delivered by FedEx . . . Just stay away from UPS! Good luck in the new year. Had no idea there were so many Canadians on this club.

I will be away for the first few weeks of January, but would like to meet some of the local mopar guys. I used to have many car guy friends when I was younger, but have moved and lost touch with local guys that are gearheads.

So how about a Monday night wings and beer at a local sports bar?

Cheers
Jeff

I will be away for the first few weeks of January, but would like to meet some of the local mopar guys. I used to have many car guy friends when I was younger, but have moved and lost touch with local guys that are gearheads.

So how about a Monday night wings and beer at a local sports bar?

Cheers
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I'm sure there's a bunch of us that would go for that. I looked back at your earlier ad you're in Dundas near Hamilton correct?

Let's see who would be interested then set a date!

I'm in for sure. Jeff, if you ever want to come wrench or need help wrenching I'm a call, text, or pm away. You've been to my place before, I don't think it's too far. I mentioned to Mike that I'm thinking of having a get together at my place in early April to try and get a bunch of stuff on the Belvedere done seeing as I want to compete in the 11.5 heads up class at some events this year. The beer, pizza, and wings is on me. I have more than enough space to accommodate a large group of people. If anyone has suggestions just shoot me a pm.

-Ryan

Dave here from London Ontario...I ususally get my stuff over the border, In the past I just go get it whether its a trip to a swap meet or the Parts Place (GM stuff) Thats in Iowa..Always just worked it into a trip..picked up my '68 Satellite on a trip to Texas this past September..I just ordered some stuff from Classic Industries that will be shipped to port huron and I will jump over the border to get..thats the first time with this company..one other time I used UPS and just had it shipped to there depot stateside...that worked out well too..

Dave here from London Ontario...I ususally get my stuff over the border, In the past I just go get it whether its a trip to a swap meet or the Parts Place (GM stuff) Thats in Iowa..Always just worked it into a trip..picked up my '68 Satellite on a trip to Texas this past September..I just ordered some stuff from Classic Industries that will be shipped to port huron and I will jump over the border to get..thats the first time with this company..one other time I used UPS and just had it shipped to there depot stateside...that worked out well too..

Hey Dave,

That seems to be what the majority of people here are doing at least when they can put orders together worth travelling for. My issue has been with the little BS things like yesterday I needed a can of SEM Color Coat.. can get it online for $8 then shipping was $26 plus whatever costs incurred at the border... not worth ordering and not worth driving over the border for.

I lucked out and finally found a local CARQUEST that was a supplier for SEM but that I hit that on my third try of 3 listed approved suppliers! lol. We definitely don't have it as good here when it comes to aftermarket and restoration parts there's no doubt about that!

Mike

At times when I wanted paint in a spray can I will get my paint supplier to put it in a spray can for me..the first can is pricey and the rest are decently priced...however there is very little I will do with a rattle can..I will mix it up in the gun and spray it nicer job in my opinion.. As far as getting raked over the coals...welcome to Canada..I have been getting parts from the states since the mid '90s it has always been the same..and I am stupid enough to keep doing it for near 20 years...

I have a summit order coming up, ask me how excited I am about paying out the *** for shipping. As for paint, I can never go wrong with spraying something flat black straight from the can.

When I order from summit..I take the hour trip to port huron...You must be far away from the border..?

I don't have transportation to get there during school, I'm not that far though, about an hour away from the Buffalo border.

Auto Transport Service
Back