• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cant get a 4 speed in a tesla....

Back in the day my wife would make fun of guys with muscle cars and "Ratamatics" as she called them!
Or more specifically, FART PIPES!!! If one learns how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, then they can drive just about anything, I learned on a 3 on the tree, with manual brakes, and manual/armstrong steering, 6 banger car as that was all the Ol'man would ever buy so my Mom had to learn to as well. Always interesting to see her struggle with those beasts with her 4 boys with her, When I was old enough to drive, I would then chauffer her on her errands to spare her from the struggle with those cars. Pop would always say one doesn't need all the easier stuff in a vehicle until he ends up having no choice in one later in life. Always a gas watching and hearing him grind those gears between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. We would laugh and shout out, "A Half A Pound Of Grond Round Please!!! As for a Tesla...No Thank You despite its reputation of speed and quickness... cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

. I favor a V8, but I find things like Honda's 90'e era Vtech, especially the S2000 or even the Prelude to be fascinating.
Probably this info will fall on deaf ears on fbbo, but the S2000 was the highest production hp/ci N/A car ever produced until 2010. 2hp per cube. A street hemi would have to make 850hp out the door to compete.
I was working at Honda the day they rolled out.

To me, speed isn't the end goal for my cars.
I swapped in a 5 speed manual in my Charger but not in the interest of going faster, it was to make the car more fun to drive. I'm not a great driver with lightning fast shifts but I have a great time driving the car.
A Tesla or any other electric car that is faster does not interest me in the least.

I don't care how fast a Tesla is,you still have to be seen in it,and they are fugly yuppie cars with zero style.

No four speed, no style, electric motor, reasons not to buy a Tesla.
20240511_195450.jpg

And if autos are for women..
Where does that leave the the three on the tree people?
I learned how to shift a 3 on the tree at a very early age because my mom let me 'try' to shift her 51 Cranbrook. Wasn't too good at it in the 'early' days though but got better by the time I was 6 :D I love stick cars and with the right combo of shifter, clutch and trans, I can make one sound like an automatic....yeah, I'm bragging lol but it's true. Miss having a high performance car with the right stuff in it. Had a couple but it's been way too long since having one.
That reminds me of my mother driving, she always called the gas pedal the "footfeet". Never figured that one out back then, but recently figured out that her dad taught her to drive way back when the throttle in cars of his era was called a "foot feed"
Never heard the term but it makes sense.....
Or more specifically, FART PIPES!!! If one learns how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, then they can drive just about anything, I learned on a 3 on the tree, with manual brakes, and manual/armstrong steering, 6 banger car as that was all the Ol'man would ever buy so my Mom had to learn to as well. Always interesting to see her struggle with those beasts with her 4 boys with her, When I was old enough to drive, I would then chauffer her on her errands to spare her from the struggle with those cars. Pop would always say one doesn't need all the easier stuff in a vehicle until he ends up having no choice in one later in life. Always a gas watching and hearing him grind those gears between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. We would laugh and shout out, "A Half A Pound Of Grond Round Please!!! As for a Tesla...No Thank You despite its reputation of speed and quickness... cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
'Grind me a pound' was a favorite comment that I made to buddies that couldn't drive a stick very well....heck, most of them couldn't drive one that was full syncro lol
Probably this info will fall on deaf ears on fbbo, but the S2000 was the highest production hp/ci N/A car ever produced until 2010. 2hp per cube. A street hemi would have to make 850hp out the door to compete.
I was working at Honda the day they rolled out.
Oh man, the S2000 caught my eye when they first showed up! Even the MR2 caught my eye until I beat one with a Mitsubishi Tredia 2.0 turbo 5 speed with 2 others in the car with me and the guy in the Mr2 was by himself lol. Lost all respect for them pretty quickly!

A three on the tree is the best antitheft device ever. No one under the age of 50 knows how to operate them!

Up excrement river without an oar? :poke:
Reminds me of Mrs Charger driving my 64 330 4dr /6 3OTT, pregnant, down the freeway at rush hour, and the pin decides to slide out of the shift lever.
She just crammed it back in the column and held it in to the destination
Took her a while to appreciate that car again :rofl:

A three on the tree is the best antitheft device ever. No one under the age of 50 knows how to operate them!
I think my step daughter knows how and she's not quite 50....but she's close! I'll find out soon when she comes over to drive the 64 Dart.

Reminds me of Mrs Charger driving my 64 330 4dr /6 3OTT, pregnant, down the freeway at rush hour, and the pin decides to slide out of the shift lever.
I've had that happen once.....and can only imagine how that might have been for her. My first wife drove herself to the hospital in a 73 Challenger (1988 was the year) when her water broke and a left front tire decided it didn't need the tread anymore. The tire was still aired up when she stopped so she got back in and proceeded on. The tread dog-eared the back part of the fender but the amazing part is she didn't call me at work. But from then on she called me at work for pretty much everything lol

Nice. :lol:

I recall several times having to wrangle levers of the old 3-on-the-tree linkage under the car just to iron things out. Bit of a bummer when you lose reverse, and you're nose first into a parking space. :rolleyes:

Nice. :lol:

I recall several times having to wrangle levers of the old 3-on-the-tree linkage under the car just to iron things out. Bit of a bummer when you lose reverse, and you're nose first into a parking space. :rolleyes:
GM stuff was the worse!! No way could you 'quick shift' a 3 speed on the column 65 Chevy pick up. It would jamb EVERY freaking time and ya had to pull over and get under the hood to 'unjamb' it. PITA!!!

Oh man, the S2000 caught my eye when they first showed up! Even the MR2 caught my eye until I beat one with a Mitsubishi Tredia 2.0 turbo 5 speed with 2 others in the car with me and the guy in the Mr2 was by himself lol. Lost all respect for them pretty quickly!
Toyota did not sell the "right" cars in the US market back then. They made an AWD Celica with 260HP in the 90's. A Celica.
They also had a Camry named something else for their own domestic market that had an I6, or a turbo I4.
Mitsubishi never sold the 90's Lancer over here. Nissan never brought the Skyline.
You could by a Honda Accord with the Prelude Vtech engine in it. In Europe.
The only thing that really did make it over here was the 3000GT VR4, mostly because Dodge named it the Stealth and both cars came on the same boat lol.
Thing is most of those cars were exported to Euro or Australia. Sometimes Canada. But never the US. Not sure why.

Not sure what Japan was after in the 90's in the US market. It's like they didn't know how to advertise their cars. Didn't understand that having a low sales volume high performance car to highlight in all the car magazines and put in the big city dealer show rooms was worth it's weight in gold to get people to pay attention.
Instead we got "Dog's, LOOOOOOVE Trucks!" from Nissan which to this day no one knows if they were being silly, referring to Americans as dogs in a passive aggressive insinuated insult, or just that was the extent of their understanding of the US market.

I passed on many Chargers because almost all of them were automatic. I got my E87 D21 in April ‘85 in this condition, picture from ‘88. The ‘Cuda, also E87 D21… same. I looked at others that were 727 and passed. The Satellite is a 904. First thing I bought for it was an 18 spline 883.
2F2C120D-59F8-4799-BA81-240C2429B0A4.jpeg
B0E5778A-DED6-4BC0-90ED-FDAF40080988.png

Last edited:
I have made my living, raced, and had most of my fun from the internal combustion engine. One of my fellow car club members purchased a Tesla plaid. I could never afford one and have no plans to try to buy an electric vehicle, but he gave me a ride, and the performance takes your breath away. We went out to a road where we used to race as teenagers, and in approximately 1/8 mile we were up to 130 mph and then back to a stop, it stops as well as it accelerates. We have three members in the club that have Hell Cats, I have driven a couple of those, and I hate to say it but the Tesla is the fastest streetcar in the club. I have a procharged 410 in a 69 Cuda and I cannot hold a candle to it. My Cuda will break the tires loose by just rolling into the throttle, the Tesla does not spin a tire under full acceleration, it is weird. The other weird thing is the Tesla has what they call celebration mode, when you hit the button, music plays the gull wing doors flap and the lights all flash, really funny to watch.

View attachment 1661879
My Son has a Tesla and like you I was amazed at the performance. It would take my 911 because there is no shifting and wheel spin. The key is understanding what the car will and will not do then make a decision if it will work for you. They also turned on the self driving mode for one month as a promo deal. He said its interesting but not for him or worth 12K.

When I met my wife I couldn't drive a stick. I was 17. I'd been driving for 9 months. My parents had a '62 Lancer 2 door sedan, 170, 3 speed column shift. I tried to teach myself to no avail. My wife tried to teach me but didn't like the way I drove her car. The boyfriend of the girl up the street showed up one day with his '64 Tri-Power, 4 speed, GTO. "Let's go for a ride", sure, then "do you want to drive it" sure. So there I am driving a Tri-Power Goat like I'd been driving a stick forever!
After that driving a stick wasn't an issue except my wife still didn't like the way I shifted her car! The best one was where I fell in love with the Fifties Mercedes. They are now called "Pontons". Particularly the '61 Diesel my brother bought home one day. A '49 Plymouth with German flavor! They had 4 speed column shifters. First was where reverse is on a 3 speed. Reverse is back and up. Diesels you had to use all 4 gears. There are people that have commented on Bring A Trailer about not using first gear on the 6 Cylinder cars. It never occurred to me that while first in a six was a bit of a Granny gear to NOT use first!
I tell people that if you can drive a stick you can drive anything from a forklift to a tractor trailer. 40 years ago I was working for a couple of guys and we were doing the car shows with straight trucks and tractor trailers. My favorite was the French Mack Midliner with a 10 speed. 1983 we had a whole building at the Carlisle shows. We had a guy working for us that could drive a rig so we would rent trucks and trailers and the one time we made a pick up at an old warehouse I got to drive a Ford CL9000 Cab Over down I-81. For 1984 the partners decided to go big and bought a 48' double drop deck moving van and they leased a new Freightliner Cab Over with a Cummins 350 and a 9 speed. I got to drive that up from Ft. Worth. THEN they let the driver go and turned the Freightliner back and who got to drive a Transtar to the INDY show but your's truly? Looking back I don't think I was that bad as an amateur! I've driven straight jobs since but that was the last time I drove a rig.

I passed on many Chargers because almost all of them were automatic. I got my E87 D21 in April ‘85 in this condition, picture from ‘88. The ‘Cuda, also E87 D21… same. I looked at others that were 727 and passed. The Satellite is a 904. First thing I bought for it was an 18 spline 883. View attachment 1662108View attachment 1662145
Hopefully it was an A833 18 spline... :)

As far as EV's go, I only see negatives associated with them - the whole false narrative of how they're the
supposed saviors of our world, the way they're being forced down our throats by governments vs. letting
the market demand determine things, etc.

To me, they're appliances - and I don't get any more excited about them than I do my dishwasher.

Auto Transport Service
Back