• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't remove key from ignition switch

440+6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Can't remove key from ignition switch.
70 gtx
key goes back almost to position to remove but won't go the last quarter inch in order to remove it.
This is a new one for me, it's been working fine for over 30 years.
Anyone been through this?

Thanks it worked, I thought I rocked it pretty good along with turning, beating, cussing...ect.
What's going on in there? It seems ok now but I don't want to deal with this when I'm somewhere that I need to leave my car and can't get it out.

I get the same thing sometimes. Just an curly one short of coming out and it's always fixed by pushing the shifter into park with a little firmness.

Every Mopar I've ever owned ('70 on up anyway) did this every now and again. Can't say as though I've ever had one that I couldn't unstick. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts happening frequently.

If you ever get stuck somewhere and can't remove the key, you can always pull the rotor before leaving the car.

Yep - just make sure the shifter is firmly in park and rock the wheel - the park interlock mechanism is usually the culprit.

I hate that interlock crap and usually removed it from my 70 and newer older cars....

I get the same thing sometimes. Just an curly one short of coming out and it's always fixed by pushing the shifter into park with a little firmness.

Yep - just make sure the shifter is firmly in park and rock the wheel - the park interlock mechanism is usually the culprit.

My car is a 4 speed, I guess I should have mentioned that.

Every Mopar I've ever owned ('70 on up anyway) did this every now and again. Can't say as though I've ever had one that I couldn't unstick. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts happening frequently.
If you ever get stuck somewhere and can't remove the key, you can always pull the rotor before leaving the car.

Good idea but if I lock the doors I cant get back in cuz the key is in the ignition.

Good idea but if I lock the doors I cant get back in cuz the key is in the ignition.

Can you even lock the doors without the key ?

Auto Transport Service
Back