• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capillary Tube - Water Valve

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
This is on my 69 Bee undergoing restoration, factory AC. I have made some posts before. Joe Hudacek rebuilt my valve. Since I did not have the tube and the sensor that screws into the box, he put a fitting on the valve for me to splice a tube into. I located a tube with sensor (if that is what it is called) from Tommy White with piece that fits on the valve on the other end. The only difference is that there seems to be a piece missing, there is a hole there that appears a piston fits in? See the pics and comparison. When you view down the open end it seems to make sense.

I had assumed that the piece was missing and I could take that part off the old one and place in this one. However, the piece on the end will not budge after heating gently, etc. It appears that the purpose of the tube is to push this piston when it gets hot and overheats, and it moves the valve accordingly. See pics

Since it is basically stuck assuming it is supposed to move, how can I get it out and place in the other that has a complete tube. Also, as a manner of testing the complete (almost) part, I heated the tube slightly with a heat gun to see if there would be any movement looking down into the hole on the end that goes in the water valve (assuming there is a piece missing that would be moved per the above). Didn't seem to have any affect.

How do I fix this and what am I missing? Someone on another post indicated tube would have been charged with some type gas or liquid etc but I have no idea. I'm guessing most any of these would have leaked out in the last 50 years ?

Photo Nov 25 2022, 1 02 12 PM.jpg

Photo Nov 25 2022, 1 03 53 PM.jpg

Photo Nov 25 2022, 1 04 52 PM.jpg

This is on my 69 Bee undergoing restoration, factory AC. I have made some posts before. Joe Hudacek rebuilt my valve. Since I did not have the tube and the sensor that screws into the box, he put a fitting on the valve for me to splice a tube into. I located a tube with sensor (if that is what it is called) from Tommy White with piece that fits on the valve on the other end. The only difference is that there seems to be a piece missing, there is a hole there that appears a piston fits in? See the pics and comparison. When you view down the open end it seems to make sense.

I had assumed that the piece was missing and I could take that part off the old one and place in this one. However, the piece on the end will not budge after heating gently, etc. It appears that the purpose of the tube is to push this piston when it gets hot and overheats, and it moves the valve accordingly. See pics

Since it is basically stuck assuming it is supposed to move, how can I get it out and place in the other that has a complete tube. Also, as a manner of testing the complete (almost) part, I heated the tube slightly with a heat gun to see if there would be any movement looking down into the hole on the end that goes in the water valve (assuming there is a piece missing that would be moved per the above). Didn't seem to have any affect.

How do I fix this and what am I missing? Someone on another post indicated tube would have been charged with some type gas or liquid etc but I have no idea. I'm guessing most any of these would have leaked out in the last 50 years ?

View attachment 1378435

View attachment 1378436

View attachment 1378437
IMO....you are correct in your assumption that the valve needs to be "charged" with a gas that is compatible with the pressures that the valve operates in. Perhaps its similar to a refrigerant like R12 or R134A or maybe even nitrogen. Once the charge gas has escaped it will not function. The valve needs this gas pressure to expand on temperature rise or decrease on temperature fall opposed by an internal spring to close of throttle the valve in response to temperature change. The system MAY work without this valve but not as quickly or accurately as possible. Vintage Air or ond of the other AC system suppliers may offer a rebuilding service.....just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

Thanks. Original air rebuilt the box. The valve has been rebuilt. There is a cable that controls the valve, so I am assuming this just senses too much heat and opens the valve accordingly (or closes, not sure). No one makes these and most have no idea what your are talking about.

IMO....you are correct in your assumption that the valve needs to be "charged" with a gas that is compatible with the pressures that the valve operates in. Perhaps its similar to a refrigerant like R12 or R134A or maybe even nitrogen. Once the charge gas has escaped it will not function. The valve needs this gas pressure to expand on temperature rise or decrease on temperature fall opposed by an internal spring to close of throttle the valve in response to temperature change. The system MAY work without this valve but not as quickly or accurately as possible. Vintage Air or ond of the other AC system suppliers may offer a rebuilding service.....just a thought.....
BOB RENTON
ok once I got the "piston" from the old one to the new one it all works. I can apply heat to the sensor and the piston pushes out. I reinstalled in the water valve and when I apply heat it closes the valve, so I assume all working correctly. Now on the the next challenge....

Auto Transport Service
Back