• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Covers: Longevity Vs. Initial Cost

Dibbons

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
I have tried the cheap/China ones at Autozone which cost about $50.00 and start to disintegrate after about a year after being both outdoors and indoors. I have tried the "Noah" custom fit cover which started to deteriorate after about 5 years after being mostly indoors and cost well over $200.00. So in the long run, either one will keep the dust off for awhile, but then began to let through more and more moisture, more environmental dust, and then finally they make their own dust when they begin to break down. Are the expensive covers worth it? Hard to say in the long run. Both styles began to rip in the corners and became kind of threadbare (thin) all over.

I have a California Car Cover (expensive category), tan flannel cover, that I have had on my Charger for 40 years. It is always indoors but has stood up well. I have had it washed a few times over the years and is still in fine shape. So, I would say it was worth the cost. I also have a newer version of their cover on a 2013 Subaru BRZ. It has been on there for 8 years and I am quite pleased with it as well.

I bought a california car cover because they advertised it for outdoor, water and snow resistant.
Unfortunately it isn't water proof. I'm disappointed because its an expensive product.

It fits great though and sure would be great for indoor use.

I would like a dust-proof indoor cover made out of parachute-like material that fits loosely and goes on and off easily.

I bought a new Mopar cover for her challenger srt years ago for around three hundred... it’s great but the car sits inside, so I’d be curious how it would of held up to the elements. It does show its all season, I like it so much I got one for my brothers challenger srt too and gave it to him. I wish I knew who made it because I’d buy on for both Chargers.. The fabric is nice , thick well made..

dont use a cover outside, the air movement will sand the corners off your chrome and fenders

Got a car cover for the runner. After putting it on and off a few times decided that it was not a good idea. Can scratch the paint and windshield wipers tend to grab it. Oh well. Just my two cents'.

I would like a dust-proof indoor cover made out of parachute-like material that fits loosely and goes on and off easily.
I've had one like this for years; it's huge so have bungeed it up to keep it off the floor. Still like new and all folds into a pouch attached to the cover. But my car is in a heated garage for storage. I bought a custom cover two years ago for $250+ and is tight and padded. Having a power antenna was a nice thing I hadn't thought of when installing it. Outdoors? No idea how these would hold up.

My covers will last forever, don't scratch the paint and I get to see my cars through them every day... :thumbsup:
carsinshoonov182021 012.JPG

Back when I was buying/restoring/flipping cars I bought 2 cheap ones at the swap meet. I knew they were cheap but I figured they would last the summer since I had to semi project cars sitting outside and just wanted sun protection. In about 1 week they completely fell apart into little 1"-2" flakes. Now that was cheap.

I have a tan quilted one on my Daytona (covercraft, maybe?) that I bought about 20 years ago. It's been indoor and outdoor used, holding up very well...until this year, when I put a finger through it, spreading it out on the car for the winter. I think I got my money's worth.

The key to outdoor covers is NOT water"proof" - you do not want that. You want BREATHEABLE, so any moisture that does get under it, can vent back OUT. "Waterproof" means, any moisture that gets under it...does NOT vent out, and you have just put your car in a terrarium and it will now rust 10x as fast. This, is why you never cover your car with a blue tarp - it holds all the moisture and simply rots whatever is under it.

dont use a cover outside, the air movement will sand the corners off your chrome and fenders
I agree. I have seen this happen. However, I don't care about the paint on my Roached Runner. I just keep it covered when not in use because it is an eye sore to the neighbors.

20210530_123505.jpg 20210530_123448.jpg

I buy mine from 'empire car covers'. My oldest cover (empirecovers.com) is 10 years old & still like new. It is their Indoor Satin cover with the parachute-like outer & fleece inner lining. I've paid about 125-135 with discount PROMO codes. They come in red, black & grey. I have 4 of them now for my cars, just bought the 4th one a month ago for another mopar i just purchased a while ago. They really keep the dust OFF the car!! Nice covers, i like them, easily washabe too & very very light in weight, BUT ONLY for indoor use, although i've used it outside on nice days when i happen to pull the car out of the garage temporarily. Hope this helps! Scott
B27DAAD3-969B-476B-84C1-57F140E1EAF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back