• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car dies when I put it in gear

shouse

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
It also dies at stop lights. I know you are going to tell me it should be on the open road not at a stop light...however I was hoping to get a bit of advise from you Mopar guys!

The car is newly restored. engine, transmission, etc. It is a 66 Plymouth Satellite GTX 440 HP2-Clone. 727 transmission. To tell all you guys in the know...I know nothing about this car. I won it in a raffle!

My mechanic told me to take it on a road trip cause it has not been run at all. Maybe got a little moisture in the fuel now in the carb? He played with adjustment but did not help.

I am new to this forum and will welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Check your timing, and rpm at idle. Vacuum is a given as well. 15-16 is good, look for any fluctuation, that will tell you if everything is moving the way it is supposed to, or if there is a vacuum leak. 700-800 Idle RPM, check advance without vacuum advance hooked up. I am assuming a stock setup, not modified.

So it dies in gear or just when you come to a stop? trick question. and won in a raffle? lucky bastard!

It dies when I put it in gear (majority of the time) and when I come to a stop. I know...trick question deserves a trick answer...not lucky B__rd....Lucky B--t--h!

Damn, I didn't read the part about winning it in a raffle! I'll give you $500.00 for it right now! HA HA HA

lol ok then. Well if it dies at idle in drive it has to be a low idle or a severe drop in vacuum. either a vacuum leak some where or idle needs adjustment at carb. have you bumped up the idle to over 700 rpm yet? where does it idle in park and drive? Do you have power brakes?

It dies when I put it in gear (majority of the time) and when I come to a stop. I know...trick question deserves a trick answer...not lucky B__rd....Lucky B--t--h!

My mechanic messed with the idle for a bit. It sounds soooo good until you put it in gear or stop. The brakes have been redone and I took it back to our Les Schwab (brake shop) to get them adjusted the day I took possession of it cause they needed it. I do not think they are power brakes...but like I said....I am new to this car! My other ride is a 1956 GMC Suburban Carrier pick-up! The GMC twin to the Chev. Cameo....I have a lot to learn here!

Welcome to the beautiful world of mopars

Cute...very cute....and thanks for your comments! I can't wait to tackle this Mopar issue!

If it has a lumpy cam with low vac you may need to run a higher curb idle rpm to keep from killing it in gear. Don't be afraid to set it over 1000. When you are at a stoplight, you can shift into neutral to keep it running. You will need a vacuum gauge, or you can ask your mechanic what the max vacuum reading the carb is showing at idle. This is assuming that timing has been set properly at some point... Just have to tune it up step by step.

Very cool way to get into the mopar hobby, a raffle win! Post up some pictures of the car if you can.

I remember one time I was trying to 'super' my 340. I screwed the mixture screws in 1/4 turn too much. Ran great at idle. Put it in gear and it would die everytime. Screwed them back out 1/4 turn and ran great and didn't kill the motor anymore. Just a thought. Bill

I remember one time I was trying to 'super' my 340. I screwed the mixture screws in 1/4 turn too much. Ran great at idle. Put it in gear and it would die everytime. Screwed them back out 1/4 turn and ran great and didn't kill the motor anymore. Just a thought. Bill

That's what I would try too, maybe a 1/2 turn.

With an automatic, I do final idle/mixture adjustments in gear with brakes set and wheels chocked. Just don't forget it's in gear and snap the throttle to check response!

I've never, ever done that myself. I'm just sayin'..

You guys have given me some great places to start in order to correct the problem. I will get on it as soon as I can. I will keep you all posted as to my results ! Great to have new friends....especially Mopar experts !

Auto Transport Service
Back