• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Show pet peaves

When I go to shows I have two rules: don't touch cars and don't look at VINs. I get a bite to eat, chat with a few guys, look at the cars and roll out of there. Keep it simple, fellas, skip the bullshit and keep it simple.

It may sound like a noob question but why do you guys hold off on looking at VINS? I am a relative new owner of a matching #s 69' Charger R/T and took it to a cruise were sure enough, guys were checking out the original dash VIN tag. Personally I could care less, but that is assuming no one has any alterior motives, etc.

I also have yet to enter my car in a judged competition, but I can say that as a younger (29) guy who bought his childhood dream car, I don't much care if it wins trophies or not. The previous owner had a whole shelf full of them, and I know how nice my car is. I don't need an 'official' to reaffirm what I already know.

My last pet peeve is the guys who will come around and pepper me with questions/stories about "what freon is in your system...why not 114 or ?" or "why are running this carb (ser#) instead of this carb (ser#)?"..I understand intentions are good but sometimes I just throw up my hands and am like, I love the damn car as it is. Period.

Ahh the vin police.... it's like they're on a scavenger hunt and the first one to figure out that the thing between the fenders isn't 10000% matching to the tag in the windshield (door jamb in my case) and announce it to you and everyone standing near you gets a big shiny prize

It may sound like a noob question but why do you guys hold off on looking at VINS? I am a relative new owner of a matching #s 69' Charger R/T and took it to a cruise were sure enough, guys were checking out the original dash VIN tag. Personally I could care less, but that is assuming no one has any alterior motives, etc.

I also have yet to enter my car in a judged competition, but I can say that as a younger (29) guy who bought his childhood dream car, I don't much care if it wins trophies or not. The previous owner had a whole shelf full of them, and I know how nice my car is. I don't need an 'official' to reaffirm what I already know.

My last pet peeve is the guys who will come around and pepper me with questions/stories about "what freon is in your system...why not 114 or ?" or "why are running this carb (ser#) instead of this carb (ser#)?"..I understand intentions are good but sometimes I just throw up my hands and am like, I love the damn car as it is. Period.

I am 58 and kinda like you also as I could care less about a trophy. Heck I have been in car shows just to hang with my friends and get a good parking space to look at the other cars. But I leave when I want and I dont think I have ever even stayed until they give out their trophy's because as I said I dont care about them one bit. I honestly would rather go drag racing with my car when I can afford it but it is much cheaper to throw $20 bucks of gas in it and go to a local cruise night as I usually spend a good $100 bucks or more to go racing. And I really dont care who looks at my vin as I know I own the car and I do what I like with it and dont care if anyone else dont like the fact I dont have the original eng or rear in the car. What is in it makes me happy and thats the only one I have to worry about making happy ! Ron

If you don't want the vin Police buy/build a 66/67 so the vin is in the door jamb. Then they can't sit there and stare at it:thumbsup:

I made mine so far from stock that I don't think anybody should be asking me about my carburetor choice. The first moron that walks up and asks me what carb I am using I will laugh my *** off. (its fuel injected but I know this will eventually happen)

I used to be President of the Corvette club so I had to organize shows. It's a lot of work. The only fun part was getting Hooters as a sponsor. Once I had my 1966 Corvette parked next to a trouble maker, doofus, A-hole member that had an '81 Vette. I had my wife and kids with me. My son who was 3 years old walked between my car and the '81. My son stumbled on the curb and put his hand out on the '81 to keep himself from falling. The owner got huffy about how much his paint job cost. I got him back but I won't say how.

I think showing cars is boring. I like to walk them and I don't care what they brought. If they brought and old Hyundai with black painted wheels, good for them. Their entrance fee helped out whatever charity the show is sponsoring.

The little accessories can be fun. I parked my 1960's Stingray bike and my little mini bike (painted the same color of the car) next to the Challenger and everybody loved it.

I wish someone would bring a new Corvette to a show. I'd like to see one up close.

Not sure if I'll be attending many shows in the future. You guys with your pet peeves, have now become one of my pet peeves. This is supposed to be fun, I hope all the car owners are not like you.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll be attending many shows in the future. You guys with your pet peeves, have now become one of my pet peeves. This is supposed to be fun, I hope all the car owners are not like you.

I'm like you for the most part, I don't generally go to shows other than maybe sponsored by our club, but plenty of cruises, more so to BS, have some fun, not worried about vins, or if my car is touched a little, as long as its not blatant sitting on the car type of ignorance, and I bring my 5' Coyote, he's a passenger in the rear seat, not interested in trophies, I go to look at all the cars, I may only take pics of Mopars and AMC's, and I agree, people with this many pet peeves should just stay home and yell at the TV. Get out and have some fun. Car shows have most of the snobs, cruises are more of the people who actually drive their cars, there are snobs there as well, but not as many.

It isn't that they are looking at the VIN that anyone really cares about it is the intentions of doing so, the smarty pants like to read it then inform you of what your car should or should not be as if you really care.

- - - Updated - - -

I was at a show over the weekend where I spotted this and couldn't help visualizing Gpuller field punting it LOL . I guess I never really paid attention to it before but now I have to know what's this all about? Anybody know

DSCN9869.jpg

I'm like you for the most part, I don't generally go to shows other than maybe sponsored by our club, but plenty of cruises, more so to BS, have some fun, not worried about vins, or if my car is touched a little, as long as its not blatant sitting on the car type of ignorance, and I bring my 5' Coyote, he's a passenger in the rear seat, not interested in trophies, I go to look at all the cars, I may only take pics of Mopars and AMC's, and I agree, people with this many pet peeves should just stay home and yell at the TV. Get out and have some fun. Car shows have most of the snobs, cruises are more of the people who actually drive their cars, there are snobs there as well, but not as many.

Sorry you guys feel that way, I'm sure we're all just having some fun and most would never be disrespectful or judgemental.

I like going to the car shows to see all the hot cars in one spot. A lot of cars I would never otherwise see cause you just don't see these babes driving down the street everyday. And I live in SoCal. I should be seeing them. I see more Lamborghini and Ferrari's than hot 60 era Muscle cars. My car is almost finished with the restoration and I plan to bring it to some shows. It's a restomod and I don't plan on winning anything. I just want to hook up with the local culture in the area. I'm surprised at all the politics noted in all these posts - but don't care at the same time. Just want to have fun, show off my car a little and meet some new people. Can't wait to join some cruise nights to bring back memories of back in the day. The thing I miss the most, which I know is pretty much out of bounds these days is cruising and street racing. A lot of us are lucky to be alive, it was dangerous - but he'll it sure was fun.

Id say to hell with the politics and just go to enjoy our fellow car lovers. Let the b.s, roll off your backs. We know what we have.....

Car Shows

I'm 73 and have enjoyed cars and shows for over 60 years................I'm not quite sure why a lot of you who are expressing these "Pet Peeves" but I for one enjoy the questions , both good and those that may seem annoying to others. Car shows are a venue to SHARE our pride and joy with others who can only dream of owning a Cool Car...........As for the CORNER Dolls they are just an element that attracts the young kids and that in turn may spark an interest so that one day they may want a cool Mopar and keep alive our passion. In closing; a comment I overheard as they went by my car at a show was "What's that OLD FART doing with a Cool car like That?..........Made my day because I've survived long enough to become an "OLD FART"......have a great day!:hello2:

One show a year

Went to the WW11 car show yesterday, It rained off and on. Bummer, but did see some really nice older MOPARS. Had to park beside this group of guys that just pulled their new Challengers and Chargers off the showroom floor so it seemed. Granted they were MOPARS but just couldn't get into them.

However I did have a good time and the beer I brought along helped me get through it!! The greatest thing that happened was meeting a two star general from WW11. He was 96 and pretty spry.

Made my day.

I had my 71 Cuda at a show recently. While looking around at other mopars I overheard another 71 Cuda owner talk about my Sassygrass green cuda as not being all original and his is. I smiled at the thought. He has a lot of work to do to make his look as good as mine.

My only peeve are the noisy-all original or nothing purists guys. Not really a peeve but an annoyance. Some people think originality is a must and frown at guys like me. I'm glad they like it that way. I like to drive my modified mopars and enjoy the historic look/feel with modern upgrades. I mentioned to a purist that I was thinking of putting a 70 Cuda spoiler on my 71. He rolled his eyes, his face got kinda red, and he adamantly tried talking me out of it. He didn't change my mind. I don't debate the small stuff in life.

At the end of the day, its a well known fact that mopar enthusiast are more purists in nature than any other brand. That's a score for our team.

Yea but there are great moments too.
Saw a dad with two young boys maybe 7 and 8. The boys were pushing and shoving --being boys. Dad had them trained about 4 feet from each car they put their hands in their pockets, looked respectfully and backed away. About 4 ft the hands came out and the pushing started anew.

Also saw a motorized couch --what a blast. A lawn mower motor with wheels hidden under the cloth flaps. You steered with a tray holder mounted on one arm of the couch. It went like hell-- What a blast!

I figure You got to take the bad with the good.

My opinion varies day to day but for me all the shows are great. I am pretty busy and usually arrive late and leave early. If the show is sponsored as a fund raiser I'll tell them to keep the change and just really enjoy seeing all the hard work that goes into most cars. I'm usually one of the younger guys (43) but for me it's about seeing a bunch of old cars and people who appreciate them...Life is short guys... enjoy it..

Attachments

• DSC05819.jpg
    DSC05819.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 196
I don't really have any pet-peaves. Like this thread, car shows are an emotional interaction. Yes, there are shows that "score" authenticity, numbers correct, survivor pieces however; the bottom line is emotion. I recently had a friend tell me that after he won best of class last weekend for the '55 to '57 Chevy group, he asked the fireman that chose the car "how did you single mine out as best?" The fireman's reply was "were we choosing the car or the owner?" He is a great guy and I understand the answer. I make it clear in the write-up that I put by my car that it's a "non-numbers matching, Resto-Mod, build for my enjoyment and hopefully yours" car. Then I go have a great breakfast, at noon drink a couple beers and enjoy everyone else's cars.

The last car show thatI attended was with my son. I had my GTX and he had his 69 Coronet. His car is in the process of being restored. We are working on it together. Anyway, There were about 300 cars there. They must have given out about 100 trophy's . I got one(big deal) but my son did not. It really pissed me off not so much as it was my son, but for the fact that a (at the time) 20 year old kid was was working on his own car himself. Not to mention that it is a classic car. Not many 20 year olds interested in keeping the hobby alive as far as I can tell. Most of the trophy's went to brand new mustangs, vettes camaros, challengers. REALLY! I don't have anything against the cars, but a trophy????? That was the last straw for me. Now I take my car to the track with my kid and have a lot more fun. The car is even more appreciated there.

The last car show thatI attended was with my son. I had my GTX and he had his 69 Coronet. His car is in the process of being restored. We are working on it together. Anyway, There were about 300 cars there. They must have given out about 100 trophy's . I got one(big deal) but my son did not. It really pissed me off not so much as it was my son, but for the fact that a (at the time) 20 year old kid was was working on his own car himself. Not to mention that it is a classic car. Not many 20 year olds interested in keeping the hobby alive as far as I can tell. Most of the trophy's went to brand new mustangs, vettes camaros, challengers. REALLY! I don't have anything against the cars, but a trophy????? That was the last straw for me. Now I take my car to the track with my kid and have a lot more fun. The car is even more appreciated there.

Around here it seems fairly common for them to trophy just about everybody?? I don't care one way or another but being that most are fundraisers it just doesn't make sense why they don't just keep the money for the fund? Like most of you I really enjoy car shows for the comradery and just getting to see all the cool OLD cars. Sorry, I just don't like seeing new cars at shows "that's my peeve" just doesn't make sense to me.

Around here it seems fairly common for them to trophy just about everybody?? I don't care one way or another but being that most are fundraisers it just doesn't make sense why they don't just keep the money for the fund? Like most of you I really enjoy car shows for the comradery and just getting to see all the cool OLD cars. Sorry, I just don't like seeing new cars at shows "that's my peeve" just doesn't make sense to me.
Politics in the car shows. They introduced the NJ strangers or something. They won about 10 trophy's with new mustangs.

Auto Transport Service
Back