• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car storage

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Had my runner stored in the high desert for about three years with a full tank of fuel. Needless to say the rats were nesting and the cover got worn away. Unfortunately no one turned over the engine during that time.

My question is what do some of you think makes for an ideal check list and procedure whether stored in a garage or not. Next time I'll be keeping it garaged of course.

Thanks in advance.

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/moparholic4bbl/?action=view&current=b53e8ae7.pbw

Obviously the brakes, trans if it's an auto (front pump seal is probably stuck to the converter shout and will tear when you turn the motor over), wiring, water pump (will wait a week to go bad)and with the critters.....WIRING

Great thanks. I'll be looking for the ding dang critters in the wheel wells. On the flip side. What do some of you suggest as far as prepping for long term storage? Removing the wheels putting it on blocks etc...etc..? Full tank of fuel...empty tank of fuel?

If you put it up on blocks so the tires are off the ground, then there's no reason to pull them. You want a full tank of gas to lessen the possibility of condensation forming on the top inside of the tank where it will make rust. Realistically, backing off the rockers so all the valves are closed is also a good idea. Moth balls are a good idea as well. Put some under the hood to keep critters away from the harnesses.

if you keep gas in the tank, dont forget da Stabil!!!! gummy stuff in the fuel lines is not good for anyone!!! :HappyNewYear:

Here is something that will keep the mice and varmats away. Take Irish spring bar soap and cut it in slivers and put under the hood and in the car and trunk. I just found out about this, I had 3 or 4 people tell me it works. You will either have to replace it midway through the winter months or cut into thick slivers and trim down half way through the winter. A couple of them live on farms where the field mice rule. I am going to try it, can't hurt.

I have done that for years but I just open one end of the box and place them in different places in and around the car. It seems to work ok at least so far

Some great tips. Thanks for the replies. Apparently rodents don't like bathing. LOL.

Well this time, as I hadn't added any stabilizers the fuel was of course toxic. Thankfully I opted to remove the tank and flush it instead of trying to run the engine first in order to save the fuel.

Question I have is, how many years is Stab-bil actually useful for a full tank of gas in a stored car?

I honestly do not know exactly how long it works for.... i think it says on the bottle mine lasted for almost a year, (well because i started it up and took her out of storage) but i've heard for at least a year...

Auto Transport Service
Back