• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb/intake interchangeability

BamaCharger66

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I have an old 65 four door Coronet that I got as a three car purchase. It has the 318 and two barrel carb.
Motor is free. After a little work, established spark. Poured a little gas down carb, she barked off. Disconnected from old tank and ran rubber line to boat tank. She actually idled for a second for fuel was pouring out of everywhere. So, I had to shut her down.
Again- this is a four door with rust. I just want to get her running well enough to verify the motor is decent. What are my options. I do NOT want to rebuild its wore out 2 barrel. I’m under the impression that any small block two barrel will bolt to my intake? If I find a great deal, I’ll spring on a 318 four barrel manifold and carb.
I do have a big block 383 two barrel carb sitting around. But its bolt spacing is too wide for my 318’s manifold. Is there a spacer/adapter that’ll let me run this carb in the meantime?? Thx for any help!

If the 318 is original, it is a Poly. A veeeeeeery good engine. The valve covers are saw toothed along the lower side v straight sided for 67 & later 318s.

Auto Transport Service
Back