• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor cleaning

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
Several have suggested using Pine-Sol as a carburetor cleaner. Does it need to be cut with water or can you use it straight?

Thanks for the help. If I'm not mistaken I believe someone told me not to use Pine-Sol on aluminum carburetors. Does that sound right?

I'm not 100% sure. The carb he is soaking is aluminum so... Most of the videos on youtube when they are soaking them in pinesol are aluminum. As a matter of fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a steel carb. Berrymans is good stuff but like 30 bucks a gallon. I guess watch the videos on you tube and make sure they come out decent. Or try soaking some other aluminum in it as a test piece. Most of the videos say to remove all plastic and rubber. The pinesol will eat both. In the video he also mentions to be careful with anodized and zinc coated parts. FYI.

I'm not 100% sure. The carb he is soaking is aluminum so... Most of the videos on youtube when they are soaking them in pinesol are aluminum. As a matter of fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a steel carb. Berrymans is good stuff but like 30 bucks a gallon. I guess watch the videos on you tube and make sure they come out decent. Or try soaking some other aluminum in it as a test piece. Most of the videos say to remove all plastic and rubber. The pinesol will eat both. In the video he also mentions to be careful with anodized and zinc coated parts. FYI.
@

In the video he said not to use Simple Green aluminum carbs. Thanks for the help. Dave

Are you trying to do it cheap or do it well. The best stuff on the planet is the carb cleaner that's sold in the gallon can at auto parts stores. Not only does it strip all the crud out of the carb, it will remove, paint, varnish, grease and oil. A rinse in water is all that's needed afterwards. It doesn't harm aluminum. It also stores safely for years - I have a can that I've had since 1996 !! To do something like a 4-barrel carb you'd need a larger container and you want to be able to cover seal it but that shouldn't be a problem. If you put any rubber parts in it they will swell and expand like crazy BUT if left to dry for a day they'll shrink back to size and be ready to use again. This is money well spent to do a proper job.

In the video he said not to use Simple Green aluminum carbs. Thanks for the help. Dave
There is a version of Simple Green that is safe for aluminum. It's approved by Boeing.
71KmxPT6NAL._SL1500_.jpg

A while back I caught 2 gallons of Berryman's in a store closing sale. Seems to work pretty well, but I still needed to brush parts to "help" the process.
I had a really cruddy Holley primary fuel bowl that wasn't cooperating. I stuck it back in the can but forgot about it overnight. Lol, turned it dark gray and chalky. Threw it in the scrap metal box.
upload_2022-2-6_19-9-16.png

Auto Transport Service
Back