• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AVS-4615S work for an Auto. Trans?

69/70Plymies

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
I have a Carter AVS-4615S from a '69 RR 4 speed car. Research shows this carb was used on the '69 340 and 383 4 speed cars. I want to put it in my '69 Satellite with a mild built 318 with auto. trans. I'm hoping all I have to do is install the longer linkage rod for the kick down arm. So, will this particular carburetor work for my car?

One source showed this carb's air flow is 630 CFM. Can anyone verify this?

Also, how difficult is it to rebuild this carb? This one only ran 5 years (1969-1974), but it surely would need a kit.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Also, will the Carter AVS 4615S fit directly to the Edelbrock Performer 318/360 intake?

IMO...
The origional Carter AVS 4615-S is an excellent choicefor your application. The carb's primary throttle bore is 1-9/16" and the secondary throttle bore is 1-11/16" and can be "adjusted" to yield great throttle response decent MPG, with jet (primary and secondary) and primary metering rod and step up piston springs changes. Also, consider recurving the distributor for a faster advance rate....it'll do wonders.
There are "hidden" idle mixture screws near the mounting flange, that can be accessed and adjusted to give a smooth idle. These carbs are VERY easy to clean and rebuild.....just use a good rebuild kit, such as Standard Motor Products "Jiffy kit" or perhaps a NAPA product. Also consider sending to Woodruff Carbs....a sponsor on this site, who does excellent work and reasonable prices and a discount to FBBO members....perhaps a rebuild kit source....give him a call.
BOB RENTON

Thinking out loud here...Once I re-curve the distributor, do I then have to reset the initial timing at the crank?

Thinking out loud here...Once I re-curve the distributor, do I then have to reset the initial timing at the crank?
IMO...
usually....but it depends on several other variables; cam profile, compression ratio, rear gear ratio, car weight, trans torque converter ratio (aka stall speed), fuel octane, fuel ratio and distribution, headers or not Most, but not all car enthusiasts start st 12°-14° innitial and 34°-36° total at some RPM but it depends on YOUR conditions. Again, just my opinion of course. Others will have differing opinions....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back