• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AVS 6125S model applications

pdiz

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
So if my Carter AVS is stamped "6125 S" on it (not "SA") I understand it was one installed on the assembly line and not a factory replacement (otherwise it would have "SA"). Okay, cool. But just before "6125 S" is the code "H5" stamped next to it, indicating August 1975, I think. Also, the copper tag on it reads, "6125S / 2275 / 44".

Since everything I read seems to indicate Chrysler only used the 6125S AVS in 1970-71, should I presume this is an assembly-line carburetor off of some other random auto make from the mid-70s? If so, were there any differences externally between the '70-'71 one Chrysler used and this later, possibly "smogger" one? I want to rebuild and run it if it at least "looks" correct from 10 feet away.

(It was found in the trunk of my '70 Bee/383 4 speed.)

Is it an A/C car? Airgrabber?

It's a Lynch Road made 383, 4-speed, N96, non-A/C car.

6125 is the wrong carb for your 383 N96 4 speed car. 6125 is 1971 383-4 HP automatic only, never 1970.
2275 is 227th day of 1975
H5 is 8th month of 1975
People swap carbs all the time, decode the number and date to know what it is from.

Your car if a 1971 would need a Holley 4734 or 6193. This is the GG white book. The factory service manual would spell this out also.

The carb #'s change for different of combinations of:

Auto or manual trans
N96 or not
N95 or not
A/C or not.
Body type B, E or C body

View attachment 1629964

F5166E64-64BB-4EF1-8794-6349AE68B952.jpeg

A8ABDECE-FDFE-4338-BA00-2453E12FC910.jpeg

Last edited:
So if my Carter AVS is stamped "6125 S" on it (not "SA") I understand it was one installed on the assembly line and not a factory replacement (otherwise it would have "SA"). Okay, cool. But just before "6125 S" is the code "H5" stamped next to it, indicating August 1975, I think. Also, the copper tag on it reads, "6125S / 2275 / 44".

Since everything I read seems to indicate Chrysler only used the 6125S AVS in 1970-71, should I presume this is an assembly-line carburetor off of some other random auto make from the mid-70s? If so, were there any differences externally between the '70-'71 one Chrysler used and this later, possibly "smogger" one? I want to rebuild and run it if it at least "looks" correct from 10 feet away.

(It was found in the trunk of my '70 Bee/383 4 speed.)
Perhaps it's an Edelbrock (Eddy) equilivant to the origional CARTER AVS carb for your car and as suggested it should have been HOLLEY CARB ON A 383 ENGINE as origional. BTW.....the SA designation on an origional CARTER carb neans it is an engineering revision (calibration or feature) and NOT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND NOT AN ASSEMBLY LINE addition.
BOB RENTON

It's a 1970 model, not 1971, but yes, I see that it was supposed to have a Holley R4736 now, but also read that some Holleys were getting replaced with the Carter AVS due to the Holleys leaking/causing fires, and just wanted to be sure. Thank you for the info. Now the question is, is there a modern equivalent of the R4736 Holley that will at least look half-way correct? I guess it doesn't matter, I'll probably just rebuild the 6125S and throw it on there for now, but it's also over $50 for the rebuild kit and not sure if it's worth my time (mild 383 w/ iron heads and MP purple shaft cam, that's about it).

Perhaps it's an Edelbrock (Eddy) equilivant to the origional CARTER AVS carb for your car and as suggested it should have been HOLLEY CARB ON A 383 ENGINE as origional. BTW.....the SA designation on an origional CARTER carb neans it is an engineering revision (calibration or feature) and NOT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND NOT AN ASSEMBLY LINE addition.
BOB RENTON
It does have "CARTER AVS" and "MADE IN USA" stamped on the carburetor body.

The AVS 6125 is a factory carb for a 1971 383 AT, but yours was made in august 1975.

All those listed in the book I posted will look simular, except the N95 carbs have a 3/8 hose connection for the bowl vent you car didn't have.

Purple shaft cam is pretty vague, which one is it? They have then from stock to radical race only.

How much idle vacuum does your car have?

It's a 1970 model, not 1971, but yes, I see that it was supposed to have a Holley R4736 now, but also read that some Holleys were getting replaced with the Carter AVS due to the Holleys leaking/causing fires, and just wanted to be sure. Thank you for the info. Now the question is, is there a modern equivalent of the R4736 Holley that will at least look half-way correct? I guess it doesn't matter, I'll probably just rebuild the 6125S and throw it on there for now, but it's also over $50 for the rebuild kit and not sure if it's worth my time (mild 383 w/ iron heads and MP purple shaft cam, that's about it).
If you DO have time, and you DO have 50 bucks, I'd say it's worth it. You could try it, and still sell it later rebuilt. I liked those factory avs 625s.

The AVS 6125 is a factory carb for a 1971 383 AT, but yours was made in august 1975.

All those listed in the book I posted will look simular, except the N95 carbs have a 3/8 hose connection for the bowl vent you car didn't have.

Purple shaft cam is pretty vague, which one is it? They have then from stock to radical race only.

How much idle vacuum does your car have?
Excellent info. So just the bowl vent on the later AVS is the difference? If that's it, I'll probably just plug it and run it after rebuild. Oh, the cam is the "hemi grind" purple shaft cam, I believe it was the .484/108 LSA one, but that's just from memory. It's been a good 10 years since it was installed.

If you DO have time, and you DO have 50 bucks, I'd say it's worth it. You could try it, and still sell it later rebuilt. I liked those factory avs 625s.
Okay, I think I'm just going to rebuild the 1975 AVS and see how it runs. Thanks. Won't miss $50, and if I do, I'll just sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back