• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carlisle Award Snafoo $$$

maybe that's a way of keeping the entry fee down

Seriously ?!?!? They pull in a couple million at each show - some of which don't issue trophies like the spring and fall swap meets. You telling me they'd have to raise prices if they hand out 50 $20 plaques !!! And why don't Mopar, Meguiers, etc step up to the plate and foot the bill !!

I have tons of trophies, they should make them from paper so you can use them to wipe your, dipstick.
With their policy I would ignore the whole deal.

Seriously ?!?!? They pull in a couple million at each show - some of which don't issue trophies like the spring and fall swap meets. You telling me they'd have to raise prices if they hand out 50 $20 plaques !!! And why don't Mopar, Meguiers, etc step up to the plate and foot the bill !!
Been years since going to any show but the 'big' Mopar show at the drag strip here, all the vendors would hand out their catalogs.....for free....except for Mopar. Had to pay for it. One time I walked to all the vendors and asked them if their catalog was free or not and all of them were.....except for....you guessed it. Mopar.

There’s a right way to do it, and a wrong way. They are doing it the wrong way.
Most judged shows have “display only” and “show” entry fees. The ”show” entry fee is higher to cover the cost of trophies and judging expenses if any (if they have a judging team as opposed to participant judging, there are costs involved such as maybe a shirt for each judge, lunches for the judges, judging form printing, etc).
So why doesn‘t Carlisle do it that way? I am sure enough participants want to be judged and are willing to pay extra for that benefit that they’d still make their money.
They could still sell their pictures of winners getting their award to participants and many would still buy it.

There’s a right way to do it, and a wrong way. They are doing it the wrong way.
Most judged shows have “display only” and “show” entry fees. The ”show” entry fee is higher to cover the cost of trophies and judging expenses if any (if they have a judging team as opposed to participant judging, there are costs involved such as maybe a shirt for each judge, lunches for the judges, judging form printing, etc).
So why doesn‘t Carlisle do it that way? I am sure enough participants want to be judged and are willing to pay extra for that benefit that they’d still make their money.
They could still sell their pictures of winners getting their award to participants and many would still buy it.

Agree 100%. Many people just want to participate. I'm happy to pay my fee to support the club/show/charity, but please set it up so that any potential award will go to someone who values it.

Do you pay for your troghy at the Nats ?!?!? In 1987 we travelled from Alberta to Columbus in a rented Chrysler minivan and accumulated a bunch of bugs along the way including a dragonfly they got nailed by the antenna - what are the odds !?!? Since we'd bought "participant" entry we enterred it in the "van" class - at no additional cost - and took 2nd place. And didn't have to pay for the trophy !!!

Do you pay for your troghy at the Nats ?!?!? In 1987 we travelled from Alberta to Columbus in a rented Chrysler minivan and accumulated a bunch of bugs along the way including a dragonfly they got nailed by the antenna - what are the odds !?!? Since we'd bought "participant" entry we enterred it in the "van" class - at no additional cost - and took 2nd place. And didn't have to pay for the trophy !!!
That’s funny!
:rofl:

This right here by the OP is exactly why I no longer do shows either with a car or as a spectator. Yes it is all about the $$$!!! Sorry for the inconvenience you had to put up with and the insult as a result of how these big shows are now being run. Just some advise for the future for anyone planning to attend any future shows...DO NOT WASTE YOUR VALUABLE TIME AND MONEY!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Throw your 8 tracks and a duffel bag in the backseat, and hit the road! Cruising and road trips are way more fun.

F208DF8B-191F-4F65-A0FE-01CECE644011.jpeg

& how many will go back next year & do it all over again & again ?
& complain about it again next year, year after year ?

that's the crazy part

they got the hook in you

I don't/won't go to shows really anymore, especially a bigger one
even the swap/show deals

that story above solidifies/justifies, a great reason for not going

I'll stick with the local cars & coffee stuff
(maybe more like burgers & shakes, to support the local owners' property, that hold them)
no entry, no "judging", no trophy, no bull **** greed, lil' egos
just car guys/gals & cars, getting together

Don't care about a trophy or plaque. Pay a higher entrance fee if you want to compete and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy our cars and the event. I could live without the OMG dirt speck cars. They just jam up the parking and make my car look worse.

The entry fee is pretty minimal.
My son goes with me I paid 58.50 for 3 days for 2 people.
The walk in fee would be higher and I've got coolers, snacks and a way to haul parts/stuff out of there.
We can drive up to the autocross area.
So I can't complain about the entry fee.

I know we aren't winning anything, I'm not even in the correct class. (my car identifies as "stock")
But we have a lot of fun.

My 67 R/T took 2nd place in Fun Field two separate times after a 500 mile one-way drive from near London, Ontario to Carlisle. I looked at it then, and still do, as quite an honour. We got to parade our car in front of the grand stand, introduce ourselves, and shake hands with one of the show organizers ( one of the Miller's ). We did not have to buy the trophy, and it is still proudly hung on my shop wall, along with other awards. We quit going to the Mopar Nationals at Columbus in favour of the Chryslers at Carlisle event, because they were getting cheesy. We found that the Carlisle show seemed to appreciate their attendees more, and catered to them with better organization and amenities. Now, it seems that Carlisle has taken the success of their show for granted, with cheap tricks like charging for trophies. It just is not the same, with having to buy recognition, instead of being awarded it. I would tell the organizers to JAM it. I believe the hobby has to tell the show organizers that this is CHEAP and WRONG and a total slap in the face! An award winner has already put $$$$ into their display car and paid an entry fee. This is like asking each baseball or hockey player to pay a fee for playing their sport.
At the annual Mopar show that our club puts on, club members get cash or product donations from local business that they frequent and use. The cash goes toward the cost of awards, and product becomes door prizes. With all the sponsorship $$$ that goes to the Carlisle show, a small portion could still be allotted to awards so the participant could continue to enjoy a good experience at the show. It is shameful that the organizers would prefer to line their own pockets rather than have the show winners feel recognized for their achievement. No participants = no show.

Carlisle 2000.jpg

P7180097.JPG

P7180096.JPG

If anyone in our group receives an award, we simply go to the customer services building on Sunday morning, pick it up and head home from there. Never encountered any award fees.

Not true.
Buddy of mine received his award the past 2 years. In person and no additional fee involved

The only fee paid is if the award needs shipped.

Not true.
Buddy of mine received his award the past 2 years. In person and no additional fee involved

From Carlisle Chrysler Nationals site;
"For participants who won awards during the 2022 Chrysler Nationals, but were unable to pick up their awards during the event. Price: $15."

From Carlisle Chrysler Nationals site;
"For participants who won awards during the 2022 Chrysler Nationals, but were unable to pick up their awards during the event. Price: $15."
Not true.

I enter every year, mostly like Don said, it gets 2 people in every day, free parking, and is less than separate entries.
The prizes at the FBBO tent were better than some stupid plaque anyway.
Wait until you see next year's giveaways!!

We issue do trophies at Spring Fling for Sunday judging. Around 100 of them. Maybe 10-20% don't get picked up. That's fine with us.

At Fall we do nice Ribbons of Merit.

Auto Transport Service
Back