• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet floor mats for a 72’

QuebecRollin

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for some carpeted floor mats and I’m not having much luck.
I see a few good options that go up to 71’
but not much for a 72’
I’m not even sure what changes from 71-72 that they would be different but I’m not going to spend $150 to find out!

My goal is to get a set of black loop pile mats with the correct GTX script for a 4-speed.
I’d settle for roadrunner or Plymouth script if that’s the only hurdle.

Anyone have suggestions?

Only place I found proper GTX script...spendy though.

https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/carpet-car-floor-mats

It appears they do not have 72 GTX. They do have Plymouth though.

My 68...

DSC01966.JPG

I saw those too and that’s what I want. Those look great in your car.
Does anyone know what is different between 71 and 72 that would make them not work?

71 and 72 floors are identical. Even 73-74 are pretty much the same. I ordered a 74 carpet for my 71 because I wanted cut-pile and it fits perfect.

71 and 72 floors are identical. Even 73-74 are pretty much the same. I ordered a 74 carpet for my 71 because I wanted cut-pile and it fits perfect.
Ok, great. I’m going to order the Mats.
I’ll report back with pictures and a fitment review when I get them.

I ended up going with Lloyds Mats and received them a few days ago.
I went with black loop with silver embroidery. I wanted a somewhat OEM type of look and I’m really happy with how they came out.
However, the drivers front mat doesn’t fit well at all.
My car is a 72’ RR GTX 4-speed
Lloyds doesn’t offer the GTX script in the drop down menu if you choose 1972 as your model year. They only offer roadrunner which makes sense because GTX was a sub model of roadrunner for 72’
After asking here on FBBO and doing some of my own research the consensus was that there is no difference in the floor pan from 71’ to 72’
With that information I decided to select mats for a 71’ so I could choose the GTX script.
I did explain all of this in the notes for my order and Lloyd’s didn’t have any comments back to me.

Before I reach out to them I figured I would try to figure out if it was my screw up.
The other 3 mats fit well but the drivers gets caught in the gas pedal and rides up the left side up to the kick panel as well. It otherwise fits ok but it just seems way oversized on the right and left sides

DA4B9809-A482-45AB-A9B9-E1F57805C72A.jpeg
4570C8BE-956A-4142-B2A3-1A106433C5D4.jpeg

One thought a had was that maybe there is a different shaft angle for a 4-speed vs auto gas pedal and I have the wrong one in the car? That might explain the interference issue but still doesn’t resolve the bunched up edges running up the sides of the floor pan.

There may be a difference in the floor hump of an auto vs 4-speed thereby not letting that part of the mat lay as flat as they intended. I would call them and see.

There may be a difference in the floor hump of an auto vs 4-speed thereby not letting that part of the mat lay as flat as they intended. I would call them and see.
I was thinking that maybe I got a set of mats for an auto but I would think the auto floor hump would be bigger at the bell housing which should give the opposite problem if it was an auto floor mat.
If that assumption is correct and I have a manual floor mat this could mean that my car might have an auto floor pan in it?
As far as I can tell the sheet metal in this car has never been replaced but I could be wrong.
I’ll call them tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back