• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cash For Clunkers Program Came At A High Cost

Dako

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
I can't imagine! Our government wasting our hard earned tax money on stupid idoitic money wasting programs? Unheard of. They ALWAYS promise that this new plan will save the taxpayer money in the long run and help the economy, help the envirnment, help lower taxes, help lower the national debt, help raise the IQ of school children and make everyone feel good, and now you tell me they were not telling the truth? I'm shocked.

Benji

no say it isn't so...LOL... Pres. Disaster & yet another of his failed programs... our recent govt. leadership wouldn't actually attempt to deceive us, would they ??... that's rhetorical

20070822obama.jpg

Well, flame for it but I am driving an 09 RAM 1500 I bought on the cash for clunkers deal. Where else was I going to get $4500 for a 16 year old Dodge 1500 with 165000 miles on it?
My real reasoning was not so much that I NEEDED a new truck at the time OR that my current truck was not sound enough. I simply thought that since I WOULD be paying for it (the program) weather I participated or not that I might a well get something out of it.
The 09 has been perfect in every way and has not given me one single issue. I now have 44000 miles on it!

Well, flame for it but I am driving an 09 RAM 1500 I bought on the cash for clunkers deal. Where else was I going to get $4500 for a 16 year old Dodge 1500 with 165000 miles on it?
My real reasoning was not so much that I NEEDED a new truck at the time OR that my current truck was not sound enough. I simply thought that since I WOULD be paying for it (the program) weather I participated or not that I might a well get something out of it.
The 09 has been perfect in every way and has not given me one single issue. I now have 44000 miles on it!

Sounds like a good truck & a good decision for you... Not torching you, But, I also wonder how much that truck was actually "marked up" ??, what hidden costs did you ultimately pay for ??, because of the cash for clunkers program & the $4500 federal govt. CFC subsidies ?? I would venture to say you got what your truck trade in was worth & the new truck was "marked up" the difference, pretty much normal car dealership games... I've been around the car dealership business, know many General Managers & finance managers for 35+ years now, grew up around it... They don't give anything away, no matter how good it may look on paper, rebates, fed. govt. subsidies or advertised deal... Tricks of the trade, simple deceit... Glad you like the truck, I'm sure it helped your Dodge local dealership too... At least you still bought American...

Darius,

Wouldn't knock anybody for participating...just pointing out the waste of money by our government.

Darius,

Wouldn't knock anybody for participating...just pointing out the waste of money by our government.

I agree 100% on the Gov'ts ability to flush $$$ down the drain! I just found myself in a position to take advantage of it for once.
I think the price of the truck was $22,000 which was the going rate around here at the time. I felt I got a good deal and I have bought new Dodge trucks for 35 years now.

I guess the program did nothing for me, as I will never buy a new car. They are so marked up, that by the time the guy who thinks that buying a car for sticker inevitably trades the car in. I will get a way better deal on a second hand car that is normally only a couple years/ if not months old. Plus, I prefer the classics anyway

I don't think the statement that the vehicle had to be crushed is correct. There's a big yard here in Jacksonville that has dozens of CFC cars that are available for parts. I know there was a requirement like the engine had to be made inoperable, but there's really no way to do that since any damaged engine can be rebuilt.

When I lived in Bermuda, they had a policy of one car per household. If you had a car and wanted a new one, you could sell your car and wait one year to get a new one or you could take your old car to the airport and I guy there would get out a torch, cut your car in half, pull the halves apart, and take a picture of the separated halves for you to take to the registration office. Now that's disabling a vehicle. :)

IIRC There was a rule/law supposedly that the trade in CFC Cars/Trucks etc., the engine was to be completely destroyed, acid ran thru it &/or than ran thru a hammer & pulverized/broken into pieces, so it couldn't ever be rebuilt... The trade in cars were supposedly to be crushed also, made completely unusable to get the gas guzzlers of the road period, under penalty of federal law & weren't supposed to be resold "at all", materials used for a recycle program, taken out of the market place period, so they couldn't ever be used again or put back on the road as a gas guzzler, also if IIRC... Like normal with anything the feds do, it was not ran correctly, managed or let alone policed/enforced properly & Some of the many unscrupulous Auto wreckers/recyclers & even dealerships, mechanics while they were still on the back lots or even the recycle yard employees, just removed/stole usable stuff out of them too, for personal use &/or resale, they had simply just didn't follow the letter of the law, there was more profit in the CFC debacle still, for them to take advantage of... like normal

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the statement that the vehicle had to be crushed is correct. There's a big yard here in Jacksonville that has dozens of CFC cars that are available for parts. I know there was a requirement like the engine had to be made inoperable, but there's really no way to do that since any damaged engine can be rebuilt.

When I lived in Bermuda, they had a policy of one car per household. If you had a car and wanted a new one, you could sell your car and wait one year to get a new one or you could take your old car to the airport and I guy there would get out a torch, cut your car in half, pull the halves apart, and take a picture of the separated halves for you to take to the registration office. Now that's disabling a vehicle. :)

Yeah also in Japan they are forced to take the engines out after 60k IIRC or scrap the car/truck, they supposedly have no choice & then they are sold them to the USA or other countries to use...

What I saw in Japan was they are using registration fees to force older cars off the road. Our bases over there are over-run with older vehicles because the Japanese don't want to pay the sky-high registration fees on a 4+ year-old vehicle.

Auto Transport Service
Back