• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cassette radio

The radio is cassette recorder specific as far as plug and play… They sometime came in cars with out that set up and just used a plug on the end..
Here it is… buried. I can’t reach it. Looks like I grabbed the cable. To wire it up, it would just need 12 volts. You could add an on/off switch. And I’ve converted many old radios to “guitar amps”. So wiring into an existing unit isn’t that hard to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is… buried. I can’t reach it. Looks like I grabbed the cable. To wire it up, it would just need 12 volts. You could add an on/off switch. And I’ve converted many old radios I to “guitar amps”. So wiring into an existing unit isn’t that hard to do.View attachment 1396477
I am sure it could be wired up.. I was just saying as far as plug and play they were specific radios from the factory..

I am sure it could be wired up.. I was just saying as far as plug and play they were specific radios from the factory..
I remember back then several parts guys had NOS microphones for $10. I guess I should have bought one. :D

I still have a plug left for a radio that was installed but didn’t have the recorder…Apparently these are hard to find these days..

024D12BC-A037-4CEF-849D-1ACAA503F00D.jpeg

14AFB60E-DADE-401E-AC65-C8970C4502D0.jpeg

first time for me too

HEY! Thats my diagram! LOL

I made that job on my car to use the factory multiplexer Radio provision to get an aux in line using a 1/8” normalized jack, just like modern radios.

also a cigar lighter socket to get an extra power source without need to keep open the ashtray… everything built into a plastic lab box attached underneath the Radio.
I know. Thanks I used it to put Bluetooth in my charger

WAY ahead of the curve.

DIN connectors and DIN format unit.

...although it's 1.25 DIN vs 1, 1.5, or 2.

Relatively easy to put a modern 1 DIN head unit in the pod.

Ok so they sell these “blanks”??? that’s a cable shown.. I remember Greg Ward saying they were difficult to find and he was the mopar radio guy…
You need the male part I believe. The female part of the connection is usually on the radio.

Had one in my 72 Challenger Rallye. AM radio in the dash.....never used it even once lol. And it didn't have Dodge script either.

Ok so they sell these “blanks”??? that’s a cable shown.. I remember Greg Ward saying they were difficult to find and he was the mopar radio guy…
Good electronics supply shops should have something very similar down at component level for someone who is keen.
I have used similar plugs - male & female for small jobs.

You need the male part I believe. The female part of the connection is usually on the radio.
The plug blank is the female end the radio has the male end with the pins sticking out unless since this whole piece goes in it’s considered the female plug... I wonder why people post looking for this piece if it’s still made today.. I don’t f with radios as I enjoyed listening to the engines in my cars…

B28CAB5D-8D6C-45F3-82B1-68CDE6F05594.jpeg

Last edited:
The plug blank is the female end the radio has the male end with the pins sticking out unless since this whole piece goes in it’s considered the female plug... I wonder why people post looking for this piece if it’s still made today.. I don’t f with radios as I enjoyed listening to the engines in my cars…

View attachment 1396961
That specific piece may be hard to come by. The plug, both male and female, are still available. Look at the photos in the first post. The male is on the microphone and the female is in the recorder. I don't know why they would need a 7 pin but they used it and it apparently worked. I bet there are a couple pins not used but just a guess.

That specific piece may be hard to come by. The plug, both male and female, are still available. Look at the photos in the first post. The male is on the microphone and the female is in the recorder. I don't know why they would need a 7 pin but they used it and it apparently worked. I bet there are a couple pins not used but just a guess.
The mic plugs into the recorder right above the “Dodge” on the face.. The unit itself has a place to plug in a cable and that cable runs up to the back of the radio itself.. That is where this plug/cap I showed goes when a radio that had that option but was not used…

Good electronics supply shops should have something very similar down at component level for someone who is keen.
I have used similar plugs - male & female for small jobs.
You wouldn’t happen to know why the picture I posted was removed, would you? I mean, you could see the cable that everyone is referring to. Hmmmm.

You wouldn’t happen to know why the picture I posted was removed, would you? I mean, you could see the cable that everyone is referring to. Hmmmm.
I see that a picture is not available, but even I cannot see what it is. I will try and find out.

I can't see it. Post it again.

I can't see it. Post it again.
I got a different angle. Unfortunately I can’t reach it without moving a 440 on an engine stand and other crap.
3A751B46-339B-4984-970A-A7ADE276735E.jpeg

At the bottom of the hump mount you can see the factory cable end. It came out of a junkyard ‘72 Dodge Coronet Crestwood wagon, that was fully loaded. Someone had already picked the 400 4bbl. That it came with.

This is the pic I posted last night. It was hard to decipher. The Thermoquad was more prominent! :D
A344EE6A-35CE-4918-A300-C34E05A54C34.jpeg

Sometimes pictures don't stick when you think you've posted them....size can be a factor. :thumbsup:
It was there last night. I only asked because it said a moderator edited it. It wasn’t a great pic. I’ll see if I can dig it out and get a better picture of the unit and the attaching cable. Things like that used to pop up in the 80’s in the junkyards.

Auto Transport Service
Back