• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHANGED OVER TO LED SHOP LIGHTS

soundhd

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
If you have not changed over to LED shop lights yet let me tell you it is well worth the price & hassle of looking into converting. My garage & shop lights were near 30 years old and what a difference. I went with the Sunco brand 48" hanging shop lights (two bulbs per fixture) purchased them on Amazon, came out to around 20 bucks a fixture....bought in "bulk" 10 fixture packs, helps to bring the price down...used the 5000K clear bulbs. Could of went through the hassle of converting the old fixtures over but they were getting in pretty bad shape so just went with all new fixtures. They are so bright you might be able to get by with just half the amount of fixtures.....

I've been using $17 (on sale) and $25 (not on sale) 4500-5000 lumen 4 foot fixtures from Rural King.

It's been a great investment.

I have three times the light and 40-60% less electric bill.

I have installed 1000s of LED lights did even more retrofits for apartment complexes and manufacturer warehouses.. The customers were very very happy with the LED conversions. Some of the earlier LED stuff would hurt your eyes if you looked up at them. But over the past few years LED lights have came down in price and got better.

I put nine 6 bulb fixtures from Primelights in the new shop. Three rows of three, and when all of the lights are on, you need to "Wear you sunglasses at night"...

4 months ago, I bought Sunco motion sensor LED shoplights on amazon to put in a storeroom and tool room. They come on when you walk into the room and auto shutoff 10 min after you leave. Lights up extremely well. I highly recommend them.

We are changing over our commercial T-8 lighting to LED and it is fantastic. Using the 4000k soft white.

We are also not wanting to use the plug 'n' play LED's anymore so we are removing the ballasts and running straight line voltage ... also requires new/rewired tombstones in the fixtures.

I have 42 2 tube 4 foot T8 fixtures in my shop and am thinking of starting to convert to LED's. Never did any of these conversions, so what would be the easiest-cheapest route? New end sockets, remove the ballast, and install new tubes?

I love how they show all the swirls and scratches you didn't think you had.

I just bought some LED Maxlites off eBay. 6 48” shop lights for just over $100. They are great!

11.jpg

33.jpg
I have seven 4 footers in this 15' X 46' garage bay & they're nice.

IMG_20200202_131248.jpg
Mine is a rather long story. When I built my shop 20 years ago, I used (20) 4ft, 4 bulb units. They were the old fashion ones with the large tubes and the oil filled ballasts. After about 8 years of replacing bulbs and ballasts, a builder buddy of mine gave me a big trash can full of the smaller T8 bulbs. Then I went and bought 20 electronic ballasts, that replaced the two in each unit. I rewired every unit and installed the T8"s..Was better, for bout 8 years, then replacing those ballasts and bulbs got old. Enter LED bulbs. I bought 80 4ft LED 5000 lumen bulbs from (Bulbs 1000) I think. Think i paid around 7.50 per bulb then. But I bought the direct wire ones, cause I tried a retro fit set, in a unit, and it didn't work. Then I went back in each unit and removed the ballasts and rewired direct. 10 ft ceilings in my shop, except 6 units in the lift bay at 14ft tall...Ugggg. but that was 4 years ago, and they are super bright. Got them on three rows, switched separately. Really only need one or maybe two rows on at a time.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If you have not changed over to LED shop lights yet let me tell you it is well worth the price & hassle of looking into converting. My garage & shop lights were near 30 years old and what a difference. I went with the Sunco brand 48" hanging shop lights (two bulbs per fixture) purchased them on Amazon, came out to around 20 bucks a fixture....bought in "bulk" 10 fixture packs, helps to bring the price down...used the 5000K clear bulbs. Could of went through the hassle of converting the old fixtures over but they were getting in pretty bad shape so just went with all new fixtures. They are so bright you might be able to get by with just half the amount of fixtures.....
I did the same thing. More light, and they come on bright in cold weather. (My garage is not heated)

More light for less money, instant on/off, and no radio interference caused by ballasts.

The jury is still out as far as the effects on the environment until they figure out a way to safely recycle LED bulbs.

Installed 12 fixtures in my high bay this weekend. 24 5k 4-foot LEDs is bright!

IMG_0204.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back