• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changes in Boys' Names over the Decades

I paid four-hundred dollars to submit a petition in Santa Barbara Superior court to legally change my given name (first, middle, and last). I have such a unique name now, that I may very well be the only one on planet earth with the same combination of the three names. Of course, as a kid, one normally does not want to have a rare or unique name. But I'm no kid anymore.

I paid four-hundred dollars to submit a petition in Santa Barbara Superior court to legally change my given name (first, middle, and last). I have such a unique name now, that I may very well be the only one on planet earth with the same combination of the three names. Of course, as a kid, one normally does not want to have a rare or unique name. But I'm no kid anymore.
Why didn't you got for three or four middle names to make sure? :)

Buddy of mine since grade school (mid 60's) is named Charles and one day I called him Charlie within ear shot of his mom. Boy, did she set me straight. "HIS HAME IS CHARLES AND NOT CHARLIE AND DON'T EVER CALL HIM THAT AGAIN!" LOL Heck, I thought she was about to take a belt to me!
You're very close to my theory on why nicknames in specific and "old school" given names in general are fading
away quickly here...

My Nephew just had his 3rd child, another girl. He has a small firearms shop/business and insisted this time he got to select the name. He chose Kimber (think firearms manufacturers). I told my wife, finally all these nieces and nephews have selected a name for one of their kids I will be able to retain in my memory.

All I know is there was a **** load of boys named Steve in the mid-fifties. Must have been from Steve Canyon. Charles is a traditional name in my family. It was my grandfather's name, my father's middle name, my middle name, my son's middle name, my nephew's middle name, and lots of ancestors going way back. My last name is Dutch. Part of New Amsterdam before it became New York. Funny, that side of the family has been here since 1650, the other side just got here from Norway.

My mom is from Norway. Her name is Haldis. They don't have middle names there. Her brothers and sisters as I remember them are Ingrid, Ingeborg, Germund, Jon (pronounced Yon), Gunbor, and Agnes.

My mom is from Norway. Her name is Haldis. They don't have middle names there. Her brothers and sisters as I remember them are Ingrid, Ingeborg, Germund, Jon (pronounced Yon), Gunbor, and Agnes.
Out of the four of us, father, mother, brother and I , my mother and I have no middle names. My given name is Ulrich, Ulli for short. In English it would be Rick. When I became a citizen, at the ceremony they offered a one time deal to change my name on the spot to anything I wanted. When I was young the name Ulli came with fighting lessons, kids can be cruel and I learned how to deal with it. My father said to me, we are Americans now, but don't ever forget where you came from, so today the only thing I have left of the country I came from is my name and the memory of the two hard working parents that gave me my name. I will die Ulli, as it should be!

I'd say with almost 100% certainty that after 1945 no one named their child Adolf.
There was a guy at work with the name Adolf and he lived up to it. He was worthless on tools but when he got rated, he expected everyone to work. His nickname was beatoff. He wasn't my immediate supervisor but he tried to be and my immediate supervisor told him to lay off more than once. I damn near hit him one day but thought better of it since I only had 1 more year to go to retire. I checked out though medical instead.....

All I know is there was a **** load of boys named Steve in the mid-fifties. Must have been from Steve Canyon. Charles is a traditional name in my family. It was my grandfather's name, my father's middle name, my middle name, my son's middle name, my nephew's middle name, and lots of ancestors going way back. My last name is Dutch. Part of New Amsterdam before it became New York. Funny, that side of the family has been here since 1650, the other side just got here from Norway.
Crap load of guys named David too. Ended up going by my initials because there were so many guys named that where I used to work and at my last place of employment.....

generic names will be popular in the future so when you decide what sex you relate to it won't traumatize you to change your name

Buddy of mine since grade school (mid 60's) is named Charles and one day I called him Charlie within ear shot of his mom. Boy, did she set me straight. "HIS HAME IS CHARLES AND NOT CHARLIE AND DON'T EVER CALL HIM THAT AGAIN!" LOL Heck, I thought she was about to take a belt to me!

Beat me to it lol

How about Mike Hunt? If anyone doesn't get it, say it fast a couple of times. :D Some years back I called the dealership where a buddy of mine worked and 'his' secretary answered the phone so I did it. 'Hey, can you page a Mike Hunt that's there getting a quote on a couple of work trucks. I need to talk to him before he closes a deal.' My buddy got on the phone and asked who I was (he already knew) and said most of the dealership was rolling over lol. After being on hold for about 5 minutes she came back on the phone and said no one was answering to the page and man, I had a hard time keeping my composure!
When I worked at a large shop after the switchboard closed the calls went through the guard shack for paging people. I called using an outside line asking the guard to page Jack Mehoff. The routine was to announce the name 2 or 3 times to ensure it was heard in noisier areas of the plant. Lol, the guard caught on as he was making the 3rd page “Jack Me…” then click he hung up.

My cousin and his spouse name their girl Julia Anne. The plan was to call her by that full two-name profile but it didn't work. Julia become the norm, albeit against their initial wishes. Mary Jane might have worked with a better chance of success.

Remember the Petticoat Junction girls? Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo, and Betty Jo

Last edited:
NOT a joke. This is a real person. Sent to me by LEO friend of mine.

Lovemore Dick.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back