• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing Console Bulb in the GTX

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
The bulb under the gear indicator in the console of my GTX is blown. Does anyone have a recommendation on the easiest way to get to this bulb to replace it without having to take apart the console? Thanks.

Nope. Looks like you have to pop the top plate to get to the bulb.
Does the console have to come out of the floor to remove the top plate? I remember pulling the console out in my A-body, but don't have the same experience with this B-body.

Open the compartment door. 2 screws. And slide back and up. This is a 4 speed. Automatic should be the same.

Open the compartment door. 2 screws. And slide back and up. This is a 4 speed. Automatic should be the same.
Apply the parking brake and shift into neutral. Lift the plate, you may need to rotate it until you can access the bulb.

I think the FSM calls for the battery to be disconnected also. :lol:
But only if you're using the red HF jackstands (pre 2007) 3 ton models.
And also remember battery electrolyte is not meant for human consumption.
The use of SAE insulated hand tools are highly recommended.
A minimum of 2 - 4/0 copper grounds are required, and your work area must remain between them. Ensure the LO/TO, or appropriate Permit/tag system is in place before work begins.
Consult your owners manual for proper replacement bulb, or the kid at the counter at Pep Boys.
Always reference YTCMM (You Tube Certified Master Mechanic) videos before beginning the procedure. It is suggested at least 12 videos should be viewed in their entirety to gain a full understanding in order to save time.
Do not attempt the repair on Sunday as your local FCA dealer will not be available for receiving your frantic call for assistance.
And of course alcohol consumption during repair work is not advisable, unless it aids in your repair abilities.
:lol:

A minimum of 2 - 4/0 copper grounds are required, and your work area must remain between them. Ensure the LO/TO, or appropriate Permit/tag system is in place before work begins.
Consult your owners manual for proper replacement bulb, or the kid at the counter at Pep Boys.
Always reference YTCMM (You Tube Certified Master Mechanic) videos before beginning the procedure. It is suggested at least 12 videos should be viewed in their entirety to gain a full understanding in order to save time.
Do not attempt the repair on Sunday as your local FCA dealer will not be available for receiving your frantic call for assistance.
And of course alcohol consumption during repair work is not advisable, unless it aids in your repair abilities.
If it requires this much work, I will probably just leave the bulb blown!

Be careful of slide that moves with shift lever. They can be brittle from age. You may want to remove shift knob. Unscrew button and loosen set screw on knob.

Be careful of slide that moves with shift lever. They can be brittle from age. You may want to remove shift knob. Unscrew button and loosen set screw on knob.
I just learned the FSM has a measurement for the shift knob button hight so that it properly engages the shift mechanism.

You forgot to mention that according to FAA rules, a Faraday cage should be deployed for all 'lamp' changes. :D

Bulbs grow in the garden. :poke:

You will have to move the shifter out of park to allow the plate to be rotated and slid up over it. Depending on if you use your E-brake you may just want to put a block behind the tires !!

Entire job should take about 30 mins even for the first time.

Actually didn't have to do much to get to the bulb. Removed the two screens under the console door. The top plate could be lifted enough to remove the bulb without interfering with the shifter or anything else.

There's a light in there... learn something every day. 32 years, never noticed... :)

I don't need a light on my 4 speed to know what gear I'm in either... how bought that... lol
Maybe that could be looked at in the future. Has there ever been a lighted stick knob? Our grandkids can drive stick cars, but none have driven a 3 on the tree.

There's a light in there... learn something every day. 32 years, never noticed... :)
After all my effort, it didn't matter. Installed a new bulb and the light still didn't work. Not going to waste much time trying to trace down the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back