• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHANGING tire size, height, Damage differential?

RM23M9A

Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
Me again.. Thinking about putting 295/50-15s On rear of my A12. (4.10:1 Of course).
Has this ever caused "Damage" to ring/pinion? I beleive they are NOT as wide overall as say F70-15s. Which have always been on car, except for when my ol man raced it back in 69/72. He ran Hoosier or M/T 29/50-15s I THINK, was many years ago. Only pics I have look to have "Wrinkle Walls" on damn thing!
Car NOT "Tubbed" or rear diff modified in any way.
20200823_173541.jpg

(Pic for the hail of it) Damn things ARE wide!

I think only thing would be not matching the tire size l to r for a sure grip and you'll need to get a correct speedo gear. Aside from assuring they fit in the wells

Some people can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer, but if the tires your dad ran didn't hurt it, I doubt the ones you want will either.

as long as the 2 rear tires are the same size then you are ok if you put 2 different size tires then the spider gears will suffer as one side will turn at a different speed.

BFG TA’s spin like the road is wet anyway. That Dana 60 won’t care.

Hi, I'm running 295/50x15 in the rear with an 8 3/4 and 3.55. No issues. And yes, these Goodrich's will spin....... Otherwise, they ride nice.

My BFG TA DOT Street Drag's would spin a ways (40' =/-) on dry pavement, but 500" & 4.10's should do that.

Anyone mentioning an 8¾, this is an A12, so it came with not only the
:thumbsup:MIGHTY :lowdown:Dana 60, they also (as the OP mentioned he has) 4.10 gears!:bananadance:
The rear diff or any other parts of your Dana 60 will be fine!
I strongly encourage you to install the larger, wider tires!
I use Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials as my street tires and they have worked well.
70 V-code TrackPack switched to a 4:10 gearset when the Passon Performance a855 5 speed went in. I am also running 9" wide, 5" backspacing Year One Rallye wheels! 315/35/17s

Seriously doubt you would hurt anything.. but anything mechanical can and will fail. Just make sure everything is right and axle bearings are good then go play to your hearts content as long as you keep it dirty side down and between the lines! Mopar diffs are very tough as is a Dana 60 ... relax and send us some burn out videos!

Don't do it don't do it:D if something goes wrong with it, there was something wrong with it to start with.

I think I hear a triple dog dare in there somewhere!

8A8E0092-2F50-4941-A041-81ECE353901B.png

Auto Transport Service
Back