• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing valve covers when going from standard to HP manifolds

69SportSatellite

Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
The 1967 440 going into my '69 Sport Satellite came from an Imperial, so it has the standard or non-HP exhaust manifolds. We're switching over to the HP manifolds / factory dual exhaust and my mechanic says it looks like we'll need to swap the VC's to account for different plug wire routing. I have read that they made different VC's for HP motors.

I've seen the article in Mopar Enthusiast from Tony's Parts, which details the differences by year. I see the '67 has a heater hose bracket support while the later years apparently do not. Is it necessary to use year specific VC's to each motor?

Also, I believe I will need to go with stock replacements due to the different angle of the bolt/stud between factory and aftermarket heads. I see that Year One reproduces the Direct Connection VC's but wonder if they have the correct bolt/stud angle for stock heads? I would also note they don't have any plug wire tabs...?

Any information would be appreciated - or, if there is an existing thread on this topic, feel free to point me in that direction.

Thanks!

I believe AMD reproduces the stock valve covers. Mancini has them and I think they show each one with the different little brackets for plug wires etc.

Thank you - I've seen those from AMD - I'm looking to go (used) old stock if possible, but will consider AMD. Now I'm wondering whether I will have other issues, i.e., water pump and oil pan, swapping a C-Body 440 into a B-body...?

Auto Transport Service
Back