• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger Convertible? Yep!

I have another question for you Guys. The RoadRunner convertables have a "catch" or extra line-up mechanism in the door jamb just above the lock mechanism. Could you
add these to other cars to accomplish the same thing? Would you need to? I know that frame connectors help alot, so adding these would be a no-brainer.

I have another question for you Guys. The RoadRunner convertables have a "catch" or extra line-up mechanism in the door jamb just above the lock mechanism. Could you
add these to other cars to accomplish the same thing? Would you need to? I know that frame connectors help alot, so adding these would be a no-brainer.
I've wondered the same thing about this. Since the door wedges are easily installed, and the location dimples are already pre-stamped in our doors and frames it should be something that would be beneficial.

I wonder if it would be easier to hang Charger sheetmetal on a Coronet convertible rather than have to engineer all the convertible bits.
Great question... having done this it would be easier to hang Charger sheet metal on a Satellite / Coronet convertible. I have a 69 Charger RT and took all the vert infrastructure off a Satellite and put it on the Charger... not for the feint of heart.

Who the hell would wanna do that?
chavert3.jpg
8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

Great question... having done this it would be easier to hang Charger sheet metal on a Satellite / Coronet convertible. I have a 69 Charger RT and took all the vert infrastructure off a Satellite and put it on the Charger... not for the feint of heart.
Any pictures?

You lose the iconic "buttress" C pillars from a 68-70 Charger by making it into a convertible.
Not sure if this had any bearing on Mopar corporate decision making at the time.....

I actually feel the same way about 66/67 cars.
I've passed on a few convertibles because I LOVE the 66/67 C pillar roof line.

You lose the iconic "buttress" C pillars from a 68-70 Charger by making it into a convertible.
Not sure if this had any bearing on Mopar corporate decision making at the time.....

I have six other Chargers that I can look at with the iconic buttress rooflines, so having one without them is no big deal. Having all the amenities of a Charger in a convertible is one cool ride.

Must be nice.

:)

I actually feel the same way about 66/67 cars.
I've passed on a few convertibles because I LOVE the 66/67 C pillar roof line.
GM didn't mind losing the same C pillar when they made convertibles...
80956705b5d43f_hd_1967-chevrolet-chevelle-ss.jpg

66/67 gm buttresses are not as defined but I've often said they are similar to 68-70 Chargers.

The angular body lines and thick doors of the Chargers (and the hidden headlights) set them apart.

Historically gm builds convertibles on many platforms that Mopar does not, or does not until a later date.

Case in point the current generation camaro vs current Challenger.

You want a camaro vert- go find one and buy it.
You want a Challenger vert- pony up megabucks to a third party conversion company.

Yes, they are commonly referred to as door jamb wedges/strikers and intended to provide additional strength for mopar convertibles, IIRC all 63-71 verts. My 70RR had a replacement driver side door jamb pillar from a hardtop, without the wedge opening. Managed to find a rusted out 70 coronet vert in local boneyard and cut out the wedge portion of the jamb pillar and transplanted to RR. As mentioned, frame connectors are a good idea for 50yr old convertibles.

cdrvSsM.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back