• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

charging problems

glhx

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I cannot get my car to charge....heres what ive done so far.

replaced the regulator 2 times. has a 76 regulator on it. I get 12 volts running at the field wires. checked to see if the plug was bad.

replaced the alternator with 2 used alternators. Both checked out on 3 parts stores machines. Checked the ground and hot to the battery and the connections on the alternator. wire brushed all the connections. Car wont charge the battery. battery is almost new.

any ideas on what to do next

I also took the negative battery wire off while the car was running and it stalled. the output reads 12 volts at the alternator and the battery. my guess is thats just battery voltage

Have you full fielded the alternator? Meaning run a separate wire from the BAT + to the field terminal. If the alternator is working this should make a ton of output voltage fairly quickly. If you already measured 12V at the field and still nothing then that suggests the alternator isn't putting out. Do you have a single field or dual field alternator and do you have a compatible regulator for the alternator type being used?

I would test the battery, i have had a 6 month old battery that died.
Could be one of the cells in the battery that are gone/collapsed/dead.

Do you have a single field or dual field alternator and do you have a compatible regulator for the alternator type being used?

I was thinking along these lines, too. Can you give us pics of the regulator and the back of the alternator?

Have you checked the ground from the engine to the firewall? My car wouldn't charge because of a bad ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back