• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

check out this old B body picture

Shackles were a popular trick to raise the rear years back; but not a great approach for stability/safety. I machined shackles for my '63 Fury last year to raise the rear 2-inches and then dropped the T-bars about an inch to obtain the desired "rake". It's actually just a bit more rake than I'd like so may re-do the shacks to 1.5-inches. I had installed HD leaf springs to bump the butt up some; though didn't get me to the rake desired. Options are to have air shocks that I had for a while then decided to dump those as the car rode like a brick. There are better and not so much ways to set the car right I've found. Depends how picky one is on this; but even the slight raise with the shackles I have exposes the leafs to "view" that I don't prefer. Who knows may dump the shackles putting the originals back on.

not a performance car, no stabilizer bar

IIRC a front bar could simply be optioned on.

I've seen unmolested 6 cyl 4 doors with a front bar.

IIRC a front bar could simply be optioned on.

I've seen unmolested 6 cyl 4 doors with a front bar.
Yeah I did to but I never saw a a BB performance car without one. probably a poly or a LA motor.

My 70 Challenger 383 car had one but it still leaned like a drunk pig when pushed into the turns. Not sure fer sure but pretty sure :D the same size bar was used on small block cars too as my 71 340 Cuda handled much better but it also had a rear bar.

My 70 Challenger 383 car had one but it still leaned like a drunk pig when pushed into the turns. Not sure fer sure but pretty sure :D the same size bar was used on small block cars too as my 71 340 Cuda handled much better but it also had a rear bar.
I've heard about the E bodys . They don't like to turn with the big blocks in them. I hear from E body guys that say they would take a 340 over a 383 in a new York second! I'm partial to a 71 340 cuda! BTW I think with the E body you are right about the size bar? Except , and I maybe wong? the AAR and TA cars may have been thicker?

Is it just me, or is the front end up a little. Like maybe a small block is sitting between the fenders.

This front is up a little . Its a big block but it is also a 4x4. This was done using a 70's jeep Wagoneer rears and a big block dodge trans and transfer case. It is still uni-body no truck frame. Drove like it did when new. The cowl hood was made to raise the motor. The hump was also raised but the factory seats and console were retained. This was done to keep the car as low as possible.

You guys should have seen this take off locked in. We party'd where the cops couldn't reach us in the 70's got tired of them taking our beer. It also had a place to hold a bong with 4 hoses. Back when a nickle bag was $5.00 Those were the days. When you would sit around waiting for your draft number to be called. Lost a lot of good friends in that swamp. A lot of them never got to drive the cars they ordered. That is how I got the GTX.

4x4%20sat[1].jpg gtx7[1].jpg

This front is up a little . Its a big block but it is also a 4x4. This was done using a 70's jeep Wagoneer rears and a big block dodge trans and transfer case. It is still uni-body no truck frame. Drove like it did when new. The cowl hood was made to raise the motor. The hump was also raised but the factory seats and console were retained. This was done to keep the car as low as possible.

You guys should have seen this take off locked in. We party'd where the cops couldn't reach us in the 70's got tired of them taking our beer. It also had a place to hold a bong with 4 hoses. Back when a nickle bag was $5.00 Those were the days. When you would sit around waiting for your draft number to be called. Lost a lot of good friends in that swamp. A lot of them never got to drive the cars they ordered. That is how I got the GTX.

View attachment 390948 View attachment 390949
My first car was a 66 Belvedere II with a poly teen. In late 70 it needed engine work so I just swapped in a mild 383. Figured I'd be called up in the draft too but my car needed the work and it was my only way back and forth to work and it was also my toy. Was too busy working, racing, surfing and spending time with my girl friend to party hardy but once I got into the military, I did plenty of smoking, drinking and partying lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back