• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choosing a Vintage air conditioning kits

65coronet70dart

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
I want to get air conditioning setup in my 65 coronet. It didn't come with any air conditioning, I talked to vintage air and they told me they don't make a plug and play kit for my car and they recommended I should get a "universal" kit, but I don't know what I should get? They weren't willing to help me choose what I need, they just told me to oversize it or it won't cool enough. I was looking at their under dash systems, but they don't come with a condenser and compressor and I'm not really sure how to put together a AC universal kit, I generally know the parts and how it works, but their universal kits don't come with everything you need and it's up to me to choose all the parts and know what is compatible with each other I don't know which to pick. what have you guys done? Has anyone out there already figured this out for this car? Do I just pick a under dash mount, or pick a whole Hvac box, the lines, the evaporator, condenser, compressor, accumulator, expansion valve, drier, control type, and hope it fits?! ect ect ect so confused, who should I order this from? Let me know guys, I appreciate all your input and knowledge.

Call Classic Auto Air in Tampa. Got a perfect fit for the 69 eight years ago. Ice cold and trouble free. Vintage is good too . My pal has it in his 'Cuda. Better distribution.

I was dealing with "vintage air" and they aren't helping me out very well, I guess they don't want my business. he told me to look in the catalog....and I did and I don't know what im doing and they don't help

X2 on Classic Auto Air. Check their website for your application. They make one for hot rods that works with any car.

Posted via Topify on Android

I was dealing with "vintage air" and they aren't helping me out very well, I guess they don't want my business. he told me to look in the catalog....and I did and I don't know what im doing and they don't help

You can bet his boss doesn't want to hear that his 'salesman' won't help you. Ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. I bought a Vintage Air set-up for my 63 and am very happy with it.

It's very true that they do not have an exact fit kit for the older b-bodies I am going with the Gen II Super Cooler HC. I chose this as my 64 Polara does not have a dedicated defrost vents so the Gen iV would not work … plus it’s kinda big.

I installed a Vintage Air (Compac II) in a Datsun 510 Station wagon many years ago and it worked perfectly.

I personally would make the #6 #8 & #10 lines with the high pressure hose and compression fittings (no hard lines for me) … it’s really FUN and easy to do … plus you can get as creative as you want with the routing.

The expansion valve is already on the evap but you will need a condenser sized for your radiator opening and with the in/out where you need them, a drier and the CORRECT brackets for mounting your compressor. Think about using firewall bulkhead connectors for the A/C & heater lines too.

Also … a trinary switch is a good idea if you are using electric fans on the radiator.

Another option to consider is that Dakota Digital make controls for the Gen II & IV … pricey but really sexy and super easy to use/install.

Good luck and here’s hoping you stay cool.

awesome, thanks for your input guys. this is going to be my winter project, since i won't get it done in time to use this summer...haha

I know a few people with Classic Auto Air systems and they are happy with them.
I wanted to use the Vintage Air Gen IV Box with the electronic controls (no cables), and they just released a kit for 1966-1970 B-Bodies.
I got the kit because I was not sure what all I needed doing this for the first time.
Because I have the Billet Specialities Tru-Track drive system, I already had an A/C compressor, so I did not need the Vintage Air Compressor or mounting brackets.
Because of the different compressor mounting location, the A/C lines going to the compressor needed to be shorter than what the kit comes with.
Now that I have done the kit, I can see that it is not all that hard to put a kit together.
Here is what you would need:
1. A/C compressor, and brackets for the engine you are using.
2. Large Condenser that fits in front of radiator.
3. Drier with safety pressure switch.
4. Evaporator/heater box that will fit under dash.
5. A/C and Heater controls for the evaporator/heater box.
6. A/C and Heater lines to connect it up. This includes the A/C fittings.
7. Some wiring for power, compressor, pressure switch, heat/water control valve(electric), etc.
8. A/C outlet vents, and/or adapters for stock A/C and Defrost vents.
9. Flexible vent tubing to connect evaporator to vents.
10. Evaporator brackets. These you may have to make if there is not kit for your car, but they are fairly simple and the evaporators are way smaller and lighter than the stock heater boxes.
11. You may need some block off plates to cover holes from the old heater unit? Note: The kit I bought does not pull fresh air from outside the car, it recirculates the air in the car. I don't know how the other kits are?

Here is how most of my B-Body Kit is made up:
Condenser with drier, brackets, spacers, and three aluminum A/C lines. Part# VTA-051066 Summit price $205. Note: I believe this has the "Monster" 28.5” Long x 16” Tall x 1” thick Condenser that costs $179 by itself. The drier is the standard black painted one with binary switch, cost by itself is $39. So it's cheaper to buy the assembly. Not sure about the entire kit?
A/C Brackets, bolts, washers, ect for mounting compressor to big block Mopar. Part# VTA-161002 Summit price $249 (kind of pricey for bare steel brackets, but the look like they are laser cut.)
Sanden A/C Compressor, SD 508, 2-Groove pulley. Part# VTA-04808-VUA Summit price $199.
The evaporator kit for the '66-70 B-Body without factory A/C is Part# VTA-571064 Summit price $835. The Manual shows kits "kit" as including the wiring, controls, heater valve, block off plates, Evaporator brackets, new glove box, A/C vents, defroster adaptors, and Vent hoses.
That pretty much just leaves the A/C hose kit. Part# VTA-531051 (uncrimped compressor ends-Vintage calls it "modified" line kit) Summit cost $115.
Part # VTA-531050 is the standard hose kit with all the ends crimped on. Summit doesn't show a price? but I would think it is about the same?

The Entire Kit with everything for a 1969-1970 B-Body without factory A/C (the one I bought) is Part# VTA-971064 Summit price $1,450. (I rounded up on the prices most were $.97)

Auto Transport Service
Back