• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Magnum 500 Wheels

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Looking to buy a set of 15x7's and 15x8's. Lots of sellers out there. Looking for any experience relative to chrome plating, black paint, roundness, and balancing quality. Any clear Mfg winners today? Lots of stuff written about years past but not to much after the pandemic.

Thanks, but if I wanted to buy them now I would look in the WTB section. Not looking for what's available to buy or where to buy, I've got that covered. I'm looking for feedback on the manufacturing brand that people have purchased in the past and had good luck with the key items I mentioned in my first post. There are many brands as you know, Legendary, Scott Drake, Wheel Vintiques, Boyd Coddington, Specialty Wheel......etc,. I have seen many on-line comments about poor quality when it comes to chrome plating, black paint coming off, out-of-round or hard to balance to name a few. It's a sizeable purchase and just looking for information to help with the decision.

There are all aluminum replicas in 15” & 17” and larger sizes, but I suspect all the true to original, chrome steel Magnum 500s in 14/15” size are probably from a single manufacturing source. I know there have been some custom wheel shops that take old centers and weld them to different size custom rims but I don’t think they manufacture the components. Here is something I found that’s a few years ago for Ford Magnums that would also apply to Mopars.

————————-

69bossnine
5459 posts · Joined 2004

#4 · Dec 2, 2019
Way back when, there were two manufacturers, Wheel Vintiques (using refurbished/original centers) and Specialty Wheel (using all-new components).

But when Tom Sensabaugh passed away (founder of Specialty) 10-15 years ago, Coker Tire bought the company.

And more recently, Coker Tire also bought-up Wheel Vintiques.

So to the best of my knowledge, both companies (and Coker as well, who does wheel/tire packages) are owned by the same umbrella group, and I think they're all selling the same all-new-component Magnum 500.

I'll keep it brief. They're VERY nice, much prettier chrome than Ford ever did.. The only advice I'd give is to make sure you wax the chrome outer rims once per-year to fend off rust.

Ford did Magnum 500's both as painted wheels and as chrome wheels, depending upon year/application. For your purposes (1969 Mach 1), the Magnums were never originally available on Mach 1's anyhow, so it's a moot point, just go with the chrome, as they look best on a Mach 1 IMHO...

—————————-

So if you want true, chrome steel, reprosuction wheels it probably doesn't matter who you buy from except for cost and service. If looking for custom, aluminum replica 500s then there are some choices, Vintage for one. My 2 cents.

Thanks very much. This is the kind of feedback and experience I was looking for.

I'll add my 2 cents. I bought a set through Jegs that were from Coker Tire because of their free shipping.
Same sizes you posted. I really like them alot! I'm a retired machinist, so before I had the Cobras mounted
I put them on the front hubs and torqued them down. Did a runout check and all four were within 0.040.
Not bad for a welded wheel made of two pieces. The aluminum wheels should be much better, but they
don't look stock enough for me. Just remember, the wheels are not hub-centric! they all rely on the lug
stud circle to locate the wheel. Dat's it!

Last edited:
The ones on mine were bought well over 20 years ago.
To date there are zero issues I've seen / found.
I have no problems with tire shake or vibrations.

Like Dan said, they are all made by one CO. and sold thru various outlets.

20211004_153258.jpg

20221023_111712.jpg

20220828_072544.jpg

I have Ford 15" Magnum 500 wheels on one of my Chargers. I had to open up the center hole about an 1/8" larger to accept the Mopar center caps.

20200919_150810.jpg

20200919_150659.jpg

Thanks, but if I wanted to buy them now I would look in the WTB section. Not looking for what's available to buy or where to buy, I've got that covered. I'm looking for feedback on the manufacturing brand that people have purchased in the past and had good luck with the key items I mentioned in my first post. There are many brands as you know, Legendary, Scott Drake, Wheel Vintiques, Boyd Coddington, Specialty Wheel......etc,. I have seen many on-line comments about poor quality when it comes to chrome plating, black paint coming off, out-of-round or hard to balance to name a few. It's a sizeable purchase and just looking for information to help with the decision.
Well, mine are not post pandemic, but bought new from wheel vintiques about 2015. The chrome is still great. A few chips on black from changing tires 3 times since then. I notice no vibrations and I drive 70+ on the highway. Just my experience .

The 15" Magnums on my GTX have date codes from 1982 and a Made In Canada stamping. Not sure who the mfg would have been back then? They are holding up pretty good for their age. The chrome is getting thin though....look good from 5 feet LOL

used-1967-plymouth-belvedere-gtx-8031-21802073-17-640.jpg

magnums.jpg

The 15" Magnums on my GTX have date codes from 1982 and a Made In Canada stamping. Not sure who the mfg would have been back then? They are holding up pretty good for their age. The chrome is getting thin though....look good from 5 feet LOL

View attachment 1586735

View attachment 1586736
The ones on mine are from the late 80s or maybe very early 90s ( no idea who made them . But Ive not noticed any issues on them )

I bought a set from wheel vintiques in september 2021. The chrome is very nice, the black paint is a little delicate. But easy to touch up. Have about 2500 miles on them with no problems. Still look good.
20210929_165736.jpg
20231008_195324.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back