• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Vinyl Wrap

Daniel Krause

Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone, with an item of chrome trim, i.e. vent window frame on a ‘66 Coronet that is not available as a repop, considered chrome vinyl wrap in lieu of complete disassembly and chroming?
I have removed the glass from my vent window frames, and cleaned as best I could, but there is quite a bit of pitting on the chrome areas. To rechrome, I would need to disassemble, pay about $400, and wait 7 weeks as there is still a backlog. Down from 10 weeks.
I have read that the new chrome wrap products are excellent in appearance.
Was thinking of bringing them to a wrap shop for a quote.
Anyone have anything experience with this?

No, but I have been mulling over doing my modified Coronet bumpers with it. What I do know is that the surface you apply it to must be dead smooth. It's a lot like working with window film tint.

Have you considered Spectra Chrome paint. The process is franchised so there are many locations that can apply it although the cost is nearly as much as real chrome plating.
Mike

I just wrapped my entire Suzuki. First time I've did it. Buy the material and do it yourself, it's pretty basic.

1150ef11.jpg

Have you considered Spectra Chrome paint. The process is franchised so there are many locations that can apply it although the cost is nearly as much as real chrome plating.
Mike
I’ve seen a video before, but forgot about it. Will see if someone nearby can do it. Thanks

Actually, I think that listing was just the glass - not the frame
If you look at one in blue bar is the one I was talking about. The $110 ebay put up as similar why it came like that? Hear ia a screen shot.
winv.JPG

Just found a ‘66 Charger Vent Frame for sale. Different part # from Coronet, but looks identical when I compare.
Anybody know if they were interchangeable?

I just paid $280 to have mine done at a small custom chrome shop and I can’t imagine any other process will provide comparable results. But I hand delivered mine (no shipping) and did have several months wait.

Just found a ‘66 Charger Vent Frame for sale. Different part # from Coronet, but looks identical when I compare.
Anybody know if they were interchangeable?
I don't know for sure but I would think that they are, it's the same windshield and A pillar and door. the roof line is the same until you get to the slope.

I’ve seen a video before, but forgot about it. Will see if someone nearby can do it. Thanks

Every few months I get a call from Future Chrome in New York -- another offshoot from SpectraChrome -- wanting to know if I'm interested in "expanding" my repertoire yet. At $22,000 for the basic setup package (small containers of a few chemicals, some brochures and a How To compact disc), and still no proof of longterm success and UV stability, I tell them every time I'm not interested. I've seen the stuff up close ... and just like chrome replica powders, most especially if it's visually near any real chrome (i.e., spray chrome bumperettes on a triple-chrome plated bumper) you can tell at a glance that it's not the same.

I wonder how many industries the EPA has wiped out just in our lifetimes?

When I’ve searched for shops near me that use the system, I find nothing.
It just seems to be an MLM enterprise making money by selling product to franchisees. Idk....

Auto Transport Service
Back