• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Car Insurance

Does anyone have any stories about when they needed to make a claim from Hagerty? Good or bad?
I have the $86 full tow unlimited package with Hagerty. I have two cars with Hagerty, and I've used their two service a couple of times, and haven't seen increases other than very minor ($20 year). When I got my truck stuck while off roading (it's insured through my daily driver ins company, Hagerty paid to have my truck pulled out by a towing company. Their flatbed service extends to any vehicle I own. I've been pretty happy with them.

Usaa for military. Full coverage, towing, $20 grand $175.00.

I currently have 8 cars insured with Hagerty.....averages just over $100. All are garaged and two are over $40,000.
I tow a Chrysler antique boat with one of them.

HAGERTY IS THE ONLY CO THAT INSURES ANYTHING YOU ARE TOWING WITH YOUR CLASSIC.

I had JC Taylor for years and when I asked them about towing my boat..............they said that they will cancel all of my cars if I have a hitch on any one of them.

I called every other insurer for classics out there and the all said the same thing.

Before I hooked up with Hagerty I called their claims department. The rep put me on hold and said he talked to the claims manager and that indeed anything that I am towing is covered with them. 100%

They do recommend having your policy reviewed for agreed value every year.......so your premium will go up if you up the value.

So all of those guys out there with street rod COKE trailers and the like are in for a real surprise if they have a claim.

I have been with Hagerty since 1997 and its never gone up more then a few dollars any year. I have my sons Dart covered for 17k and my 63 covered for 22k. And I pay $340. dollars a year for both. And both cars are garage kept as the did ask me that in 1997 when I first insured them. Ron

I use American Collectors Insurance for an agreed value of $20k (and towing) on one of my cars for $232.84 annually. I did have to provide an exterior picture of the garage where it would be kept.

$20k agreed. Annual Premium! $185

image.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have just comprehensive on their car?

I need insurance for the 'Net but it's not road worthy so no need for liability or collision. Home owners doesn't cover it even though it's in the garage. Kind of weird. I had it covered with State Farm for $3/month for $7500.

Usaa for military. Full coverage, towing, $20 grand $175.00.

Yeah, just wait until you try to collect on a loss through USAA, the crooked bastards! I had to take them to arbitration through the state Insurance Commission in 2003 on my '70 F250, which was completely destroyed in a tornado. They tried to give me $2,200 on a truck that had two independent appraisals before the tornado in the high $7K range. Run like hell from those bastards! They're more than happy to take your money, but they sure as hell don't want to pay out on a loss on a classic car or truck.

- - - Updated - - -

I need insurance for the 'Net but it's not road worthy so no need for liability or collision. Home owners doesn't cover it even though it's in the garage. Kind of weird. I had it covered with State Farm for $3/month for $7500.

When I was stationed in Germany, I had two Mopars stored for three years. I had JUST comprehensive on both through Hagerty for dirt cheap.

Yeah, just wait until you try to collect on a loss through USAA, the crooked bastards! I had to take them to arbitration through the state Insurance Commission in 2003 on my '70 F250, which was completely destroyed in a tornado. They tried to give me $2,200 on a truck that had two independent appraisals before the tornado in the high $7K range. Run like hell from those bastards! They're more than happy to take your money, but they sure as hell don't want to pay out on a loss on a classic car or truck.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was stationed in Germany, I had two Mopars stored for three years. I had JUST comprehensive on both through Hagerty for dirt cheap.

Thanks - Guess I need to call them. It wasn't an option on the interwebs.

Patrick has USAA pegged! I sell Real Estate, and represent many Active Duty and Retired Military. Over the last few years there have been numerous roof claims, and the amount of the roof claim, if at all has been Influenced by the rank Of the claimant. That is Illegal, but I believe it is done. I know roofs, and when a 40 year old roof gets full replacement,(Full Colonel, Deceased, well known Pilot) and another client who is Enlisted with a worse roof got 1700 out of a 12k estimate, I began to smell a rat. My client had heard that favoritism is rank at USAA, and when an E-9 gets mad, they do get some attention.

USAA has tried to get me to Insure my drivers, and classics, as well as my home, but it will be a cold day in hell! Especially with classic cars.They would cover the classics, but not the Building they are in,
saying since I'm rural, I could park a tractor in there, and they don't cover Farm outbuildings. They are a real piece of work.

My car is still being built but homeowners wouldn't touch what it would cost me to replace it, I called Hagerty and told them the car was not ready for the road was still being built so they gave me a $297 price on $40K, much reduced due to it sitting in the garage not road ready.

Here in south Florida Hagertys didnt seem interested in even quoting me, so I went to Grundys and have had them insuring multiple cars over the years. Very happy with their rates but have never made a claim. Your location is probably the biggest factor.

Is there anyone who has agreed value insurance without needing a garage for the car?

NO classic car insurer will insure for a car that is not garaged. Carports do NOT count. It must be enclosed storage. Preferably on the owner's property.

NO classic car insurer will insure for a car that is not garaged. Carports do NOT count. It must be enclosed storage. Preferably on the owner's property.

As far as I understand it, the car HAS to be on the owners' property for a classic car policy to cover a loss...getting an endorsement for somewhere other than the property you directly control is not covered with Hagerty or Grundy etc... In a situation where you are renting or leasing space, most of the loss would fall under the rentors' umbrella policy and THEN your policy may kick some in, maybe...if you bitch long enough....

always check your policy, people!!! :grin:

I'm Insured with Hagerty, which Is superior to grundy in my opinion. However, I was told my rate is based on being stored in a building at night. If I leave a car out and something happens, they will pay. And then they will cancel all the other policies on all the cars, period.

I just got my policy renewal. I looked at my past bills and this is what I paid:
2013 coverage for two cars: $7k and $9k plus towing: $272
2014 coverage for two cars: $7k and $9k plus towing: $267
2015 coverage for two cars: $7k and $10k plus towing: $270 - (If I stayed with $9k coverage it would be $264)
$50 of this is my towing coverage.

So mine has been going down each year.

Last edited:
If any of you people are using Ameriscam Collectors, Drop them like a hot potato!!! They lie BIGTIME to your face, can't send out renewals, don't give a **** about you or your policy, and they make up the rules as they go along. DROP THEM ASAP!!!

If any of you people are using Ameriscam Collectors, Drop them like a hot potato!!! They lie BIGTIME to your face, can't send out renewals, don't give a **** about you or your policy, and they make up the rules as they go along. DROP THEM ASAP!!!

What a bunch of booger eaters!

I just renewed with Hagerty, I think I 'm going to love their new extra policy ad on it says - if you total the car they will pay out the agreed upon value and will give you the car to part out yourself if you want all for just an extra $68 a year it was a no brainer!

What a bunch of booger eaters!

I just renewed with Hagerty, I think I 'm going to love their new extra policy ad on it says - if you total the car they will pay out the agreed upon value and will give you the car to part out yourself if you want all for just an extra $68 a year it was a no brainer!
That policy only apply s to certain car criteria. Not all cars qualify.

I just got my policy renewal. I looked at my past bills and this is what I paid:
2013 coverage for two cars: $7k and $9k plus towing: $272
2014 coverage for two cars: $7k and $9k plus towing: $267
2015 coverage for two cars: $7k and $10k plus towing: $270 - (If I stayed with $9k coverage it would be $264)
$50 of this is my towing coverage.

So mine has been going down each year.
Towing on Hagerty is now $60

Auto Transport Service
Back