Clean out original 1970 heater core/radiator or buy new???

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Local Time:
    12:56 PM
    I have a heater core that was in a car from Florida. Evidently they didn't use any antifreeze until the car came to Minnesota. It is clogged up and wont pass any fluid through it. My 22" radiator is also gummed up pretty bad since the 383 had overheating issues. Is it better to have them cleaned out/repaired or should they just be replaced? Which is more expensive?

Thanks in advance for the advice...

2. Jerry Hall

Jerry Hall Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You can still buy replacement heater cores at most of the parts houses, of course both can be recored. It depends on how original you want to keep your car. Replacement heater cores don't show when installed, but they usually look just like the original one. A good radiator shop will be able to find out if your radiator needs just cleaned and rodded out or recored. There are look alike radiators out there that cost less than having one recored. I'm into keeping things original so I'm willing to pay a little more if the original can be fixed.

3. BIGSHCLUNK

BIGSHCLUNK FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • hunt2elk

hunt2elk FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Send them both to Bob @ Glen Ray. You won't be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.