• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Close vs wide ratio TKX box

OzCharger69

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finalising my order from SST to convert my Charger to 5 speed manual from auto. I have a choice between the following ratios

Wide
3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, 0.72

Close
2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, 0.68

The motor is a fresh 383 which runs real well and I have 3.91s at the back. The wide ratio would give better hole shot but I'm afraid it would make shifting between gears more jerky. There is a plan to switch to a 440 or 512 so I was leaning towards the close ratio.

I'd love to hear a few opinions.

Close ratio... Better spread, better O/D ratio...

Your first gear with the close ratio is gonna be so deep it'll be a pretty quick shift as is... If you were running 3.23's the wide ratio would be a good compromise but with you engine & axle close is a better match...

Last edited:
Thanks that makes sense. It's more the fact that the engine will change in the future that makes it even more difficult to decide.

Hi all,

I'm finalising my order from SST to convert my Charger to 5 speed manual from auto. I have a choice between the following ratios

Wide
3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, 0.72

Close
2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, 0.68

The motor is a fresh 383 which runs real well and I have 3.91s at the back. The wide ratio would give better hole shot but I'm afraid it would make shifting between gears more jerky. There is a plan to switch to a 440 or 512 so I was leaning towards the close ratio.

I'd love to hear a few opinions.
How long a wait for one or do they have them in stock?

Close ratio for sure, the rear gear and future larger displacement engine seal the deal, but if you only had the 383 with a 3.91 rear gear I'd say the same.
I guess my only possible way I'd suggest the lower 1st gear wide ratio is if you were going to do a LOT of ⅛ mile drag racing.

Close ratio. Focus on the OD, you can always throw more rear gear at it but 3.91 should be plenty with the big block torque. Remember that the 833 4 spds had less first gear ratio.

IMO neither works great with a big block with a cam. My 440 even with 4.10's does not like the .68 in my tko until 65-70mph. If you have a mild cam not as much as issue. .72-75 is what I would custom build if I could. But the dump truck granny gear of the wide ratio is also garbage if you have tq.

I am running the close, 3.55, 28” tires and hydraulic clutch. The car drives great. I agree on the .68 over, you could move to a 3.73 or 4.10 for the bottom and really not lose any highway manners. We just got our motor back for round II and installed the motor/tkx from the top yesterday. Have some extra sets of eyeballs on hand as is is very tight and wiggling the headers in sucks.

1st2.64 : 1
2nd1.92 : 1
3rd1.40 : 1
4th1.00 : 1
5th0.70 : 1
Those are the gears in my Passon 855 5 speed.
I swapped the factory 3.54 gears to 4.10 in the Dana 60, and dropped 750 RPMs in 5th vs the 3.54s in 4th with the 833.
Makes the drive a lot more fun in every gear!

Auto Transport Service
Back