• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cluster Swap - 1964 Plymouth into 1964 Dodge Polara

Charlie Brown

Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done this swap. Canadian Polara's came with a Plymouth instrument cluster. I have an American Polara with the American dash and I want to swap it out for the Plymouth cluster.

It sounds like a Cluster F**k to me! LOL
My '64 Polara has the Plymouth dash in it. I did not realize that the U.S. and Canadian wiring harness was different though. Only wiring diagrams I have are from U.S. shop manual, so that will not help you.

That actually should be pretty easy to figure out with a 64 American Dodge wiring diagram.

I read a post earlier today where you said the U.S. Plymouth harness was different than the Canadian one, using different colour codes for some of the circuits? I no longer see this post. Have you changed your mind?

I have a parts car with the Plymouth cluster. There are two 5 pin connectors on the Plymouth cluster printed circuit board and one 8 pin connector on the Dodge. The circuit board on the Dodge is continuous and the Plymouth is split into two parts. For the most part, wires are color coded the same, but there are 2 extra wires on the Plymouth cluster. One of the extras is for gauge lighting - because it' a split circuit board. One wire left to account for. I have wiring schematics for the American Dodge, as well as the American Plymouth. What I really need (I think) is the 1964 Chrysler of Canada service manual (Yellow / tan cover I think). This would offer me a look at a Canadian built schematic of the Plymouth dash. I might be going down a rabbit hole here, but I'm not giving up just yet. Hopefully I won't fry the whole works!

You won't fry the whole works. Just run the gas gauge wires to the gas gauge, temp gauge wires to the temp gauge, inst light wires to the inst lights etc.

Why not pop the terminal block off the firewall and change the instrument cluster and wiring all at once? It beats splicing connector ends from one harness to the other. Most of the wires go to the instrument cluster anyways, with others going to wiper and heater motors.

Transplant completed and successful. There were some wiring issues to sort out, but the item that gave me the most problem was grounding. I had to run a direct ground to the new cluster. Photos show before and after. Not everyone would do this swap, but I prefer the look of the Plymouth dash. I was even able to get the clock to work. If anyone is looking for a nice 64 Dodge cluster. with a Year One in dash Tach, complete with all bezels, let me know - it's for sale.

20220104_183218[1].jpg 20220104_144732[1].jpg 20210521_101140[1].jpg 20220430_121039[1].jpg

Transplant completed and successful. There were some wiring issues to sort out, but the item that gave me the most problem was grounding. I had to run a direct ground to the new cluster. Photos show before and after. Not everyone would do this swap, but I prefer the look of the Plymouth dash. I was even able to get the clock to work. If anyone is looking for a nice 64 Dodge cluster. with a Year One in dash Tach, complete with all bezels, let me know - it's for sale.

View attachment 1279363 View attachment 1279364 View attachment 1279365 View attachment 1279366

That's really cool Charlie! I am looking to do the same with my 65 Coronet. I love the 64 cluster above all. My parents had a 64 Sport Fury growing up and used to love looking at that cluster. Like its imprinted in my brain. Thanks for including the diagram. Mine being a 65 may not be all that different in wiring, but I know it is in mounting but I'm gonna do it any way I can. Love the look for sure.

That's really cool Charlie! I am looking to do the same with my 65 Coronet. I love the 64 cluster above all. My parents had a 64 Sport Fury growing up and used to love looking at that cluster. Like its imprinted in my brain. Thanks for including the diagram. Mine being a 65 may not be all that different in wiring, but I know it is in mounting but I'm gonna do it any way I can. Love the look for sure.
Hi Bryan,
I'm thinking the swap should be the same for your 65. There are some small differences between the Plymouth and Dodge cluster, specifically with the push button shifter housing and the heater control housings - internal items. It's best if you use the 64 Plymouth housings if you have them but you can still use the Dodge ones if that's all you have - it's mostly to do with gauge and push button lighting. I do have extra parts if needed.
Charlie

Hi Bryan,
I'm thinking the swap should be the same for your 65. There are some small differences between the Plymouth and Dodge cluster, specifically with the push button shifter housing and the heater control housings - internal items. It's best if you use the 64 Plymouth housings if you have them but you can still use the Dodge ones if that's all you have - it's mostly to do with gauge and push button lighting. I do have extra parts if needed.
Charlie

I gotcha Charlie. I have the pushbutton shifter delete cover plate and a slightly damaged heat control cover plate for the 64 cluster but was going the direction of OldAir for heat/ac, so going to sell my heater box and all and will be having to modify the heat control cover plate some for the newer controls won't be too awful I'm hoping. I just got a new glove box cover for a 64 from my brother at Christmas so that was cool. What extras do you have

I gotcha Charlie. I have the pushbutton shifter delete cover plate and a slightly damaged heat control cover plate for the 64 cluster but was going the direction of OldAir for heat/ac, so going to sell my heater box and all and will be having to modify the heat control cover plate some for the newer controls won't be too awful I'm hoping. I just got a new glove box cover for a 64 from my brother at Christmas so that was cool. What extras do you have
Good Morning,
I've got a complete cluster and all the associated matching bezels (shifter, heater, radio and glove box).

Auto Transport Service
Back