• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch decision?

johnhinds

Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Belv. stock 383,converting to 4-spd,has 10.5 bell. and flywheel, just a street car. down to buying a clutch kit. what clutch kit should i use? would appreciate any opinions, thanks, John

I used to run the good 'ol Borg and Beck three finger from McLeod but didn't have much choice back then. Some people swear by the diaphragm types these days.

If i go with a diaphram pressure plate, will i need to remove the pedal spring? seems like i read this on the forum somewhere.

Yes, you will need to remove the pedal spring which is easy to do.

Keep it just in case you switch back

Talk with McLeod tech on clutches there great to talk with

Ralph

The pedal spring shouldn't be too hard to get out. i haven't installed the pedals yet. so,no matter what brand i go with, if i use a diaphram type i'll need to remove the spring? i'm thinking of going with the Mcleod 75109.

Keep in mind installing the over center spring with the pedals in the car is no fun. I would think you would still want a spring but not as tight. The spring also keeps the pedal up when clutch is fully engaged.

What is the reason that you would need to remove the over center spring?

I got everything from American Powertrain. Great stuff. If your shipping address is in Tennessee, like mine, be prepared for the tax hit.

I've been all over cookeville,never knew they were there. yeah our tax is high here. might be cheaper to just go with summit.

My vote would be McLeod, but I haven't personally ran one. I ordered a Centerforce DFX Clutch Assembly, which was good for another 100-150 horsepower over the McLeod Super Street Pro and was actually cheaper at Race-Mart ($340 on sale) but normally costs $60 over the McLeod. I am running a 451 with a 360/383 flywheel assembly so it's an 11" clutch. I would always go with a more performance oriented clutch assembly than a factory setup. Check out Mancini Racing's website, they seem to have the lowest prices. I would go with the Mcleod Street Pro. It's good up to 350HP and is under $200 for the complete kit. If you step up to their Super Street Pro (500HP Rating), then plan on spending double the price.

Mancini Racing, McLeod Clutches;
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mcstclki2.html

Still wondering why you would have to remove over center spring with diaphram pp. anyone???

Still wondering why you would have to remove over center spring with diaphram pp. anyone???

On my 69 rr with 11" clutch diaphram from centerforce. Under hard load and speed shifting i found the clutch pedal would actually get stuck on the floor in higher rpm situations. with the under dash spring. Removed it, and never had the problem again.

On my 69 rr with 11" clutch diaphram from centerforce. Under hard load and speed shifting i found the clutch pedal would actually get stuck on the floor in higher rpm situations. with the under dash spring. Removed it, and never had the problem again.

This is my understanding as well. It can cause the clutch pedal to stay on the floor.
Matt

The diaphragm plates don't take as much force for one and second, it's possible that the finger height is at a place where the pedal location would tend to keep pressure and ride the TO bearing.

Auto Transport Service
Back