• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil-over conversions

walts333

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a coil-over conversion on a 3rd gen Charger? I’m considering it and wanted to know what I’m getting my self into before starting

Honestly not a fan of them, torsion bar offers many advantages and leaf springs are simple to work with. Depends on your objective. What are you looking to do with it? The Chrysler suspension was light years ahead of others, look at some other threads by, superbeemike and kerndog while theirs aren’t the same gen the ideas are the same.

Plan on leaving the leaf springs in the rear. Wanted to do a coil-over conversation in the front. No a big fan of torsion bars but looking for an adjustable and smoother ride. Also have to replace steering box as it’s worn so was looking at an upgrade

Torsion bars are adjustable, you can buy adjustable shocks. And every car or pickup I had with them seemed very smooth. But its your ride. Do as you please. I have no experience with coil-overs in Mopars just off-road vehicles.

Magnum Farce was either developing or selling a coil over setup for the 3rd gen B bodies but they seemed to have dropped off the radar. Maybe because their reputation caught up with them.
Seriously....Too many enthusiasts get caught up in the hype of these coil over setups.
It stems from their lack of knowledge and experience.
Most have likely never been in a classic Mopar with a well sorted stock based front suspension. The design isn't the problem. Bigger torsion bars/sway bars and proper shocks on a front end with good bushings and ball joints is an impressive setup. The ride can be excellent if the right shocks are used. Years ago, many defaulted to the few "performance" shocks we had to choose from including KYBs. Those are stiff and give a harsh ride when you use larger torsion bars.
I've heard it so many times.....
My car handled poorly so I bought the XYZ coil over kit .(For $6800) It performs like a new car now!
Uhhh...Well, your car had an original front end with worn bushings, ball joints, tie rods and shocks. Now everything is new (in the coil-over kit) ...and you're impressed at the difference?
If you hadn't eaten in 3 weeks, a dang baloney sandwich would taste pretty good too.
Comparing a worn out suspension to a new aftermarket design is an apples and oranges comparison.
To me, a change from the norm has to include advantages. First off, the coil-over kits can be 3X the price of a basic rebuild of the stock design.
Secondly, the change should be an engineering upgrade. In most cases, these coil-overs are not. They move weight forward and UP in the chassis. The overall weight may be less but it is moved in the wrong direction.
The changes should increase durability and safe operation. The coil-overs do neither.
The changes should be affordable, These are far more expensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back