• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp cam information please

Roger63

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
So I got my 440 tore down and I knew it didn't have a sock cam. The numbers on the end of the shaft are 292 with 2 orange dots it is comp cam but after looking all over the web and spending an hour on hold I've come up empty. Can someone give me any info on this cam?
Thanks.

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you know it is a Comp cam?

I say ditch it and get a Hughes cam. Good Luck

Thought has crossed my mind, but by the condition it has very little run time.
I wouldn't run a Comp cam or lifters myself. There have been a lot of issues reported about them.

Engraved in the end of the cam.
I guess that would be a big clue. It seems like there should be more than just 209 which is obviously why you posted the question.

If you can't cross reference it, then get a degree wheel and a dial indicator on an intake and exhaust and you can likely figure it out.
At least you'll have an idea of what it does so you can make an informed decision.
If it's been run a while looks good and was broke in properly I wouldn't hesitate to keep it in there.

I would guess that it is a "292H" if it is hydraulic, or S if it is solid. 292 advertised duration. If its working good, why change it?

I wouldn't run a Comp cam or lifters myself. There have been a lot of issues reported about them.
I’ve seen issues with every camshaft grinder/seller. Comp is the most popular camshaft grinder/seller out there so it stands to reason you’ll see more issues from them.

Besides the fact of it has already been run in the engine, it should have no issues because it was already run.

The OP should call up comp cams to solve this mystery.

I’ve seen issues with every camshaft grinder/seller. Comp is the most popular camshaft grinder/seller out there so it stands to reason you’ll see more issues from them.

Besides the fact of it has already been run in the engine, it should have no issues because it was already run.

The OP should call up comp cams to solve this mystery.
I tried major wait time lol I get a much faster response on here. :)

I would guess that it is a "292H" if it is hydraulic, or S if it is solid. 292 advertised duration. If its working good, why change it?
It's in a stock low compression engine, I want to make sure it matches up and not a just a big cam.

Sounds like a big cam to me. Maybe look on there website. I think they have an archive of there grinds. They might still offer that one "over the counter". Not a custom grind, so it doesn't have alot of stampings on it.

From my experience, I'm thinking it should be .509 lift if it is a 292 comp piece. I ran that in a somewhat stock 440 and it was a pretty good choice.

More info sure would be helpful though.
Just my 2 cents!
ruffcut

Post a pic of the end of the cam.

If it’s a Comp that’s been ground within the last 15 years or so, it “should” have a part number or grind number on it.

Post a pic of the end of the cam.

If it’s a Comp that’s been ground within the last 15 years or so, it “should” have a part number or grind number on it.
I will do that tomorrow, I couldn't seen any other number than 292. But the camera may see more than my old eyes.

Yes! get a pic. I have a Comp Cams catalog that's around 20 years old. It may be in there. ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back