• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp Cams.. issue while breaking in a cam.

I used assembly lube on the cam, and every lifter. Also the lifters were soaked in a tub of oil. I didn't do the oil soak. JJ soaked them. The lifters were not stuck in the bores they were just damaged too bad to pull out through the top. Just thinking it was as simple as not getting oil on the passenger side of the engine like it should. I used VR1 20-50 oil in the car. I have had no issues before now and I have installed a few cams. This 440 has had issues since the guy got the car. First the passenger side had the rocker shaft upside down. This engine came from an Engine builder in South Carolina. I did not build the engine. It has had a tick since day one. Eventually that lifter failed and the tick was not getting any better.

The pistons, heads and all the valves look to be in good shape. I thought for sure it would have a burnt valve.

I have read where you need to oil the lifter bores only, as assembly lube might prevent them from spinning..... Assembly lube on the lifter bottoms only and the cam....

What were the V/Spring Pressures used here ?

We run it LOTS of Comp Cams here.... never a problem ?
So I gotta ask things like WTF kind of V/Spring Pressures are people trying to run these Flat Tappet Cams in on ?
Doesn't matter if you use good Oil with Zinc and then trying running a Flat Tappet Cam in on 300+ Lbs over the nose ! = DONE like dinner !

I’ve had good luck with Johnson’s lifters and older mopar performance/direct connection lifters if you can find them. I lost 2 lunati camshafts/lifter sets in my 440. Didnt make it past 20 minutes. Springs were 110 on the seat and 280 at 1.25. I believe companies like Comp and Lunati use the cheapest offshore crap they can find for their camshafts/lifters.

What were the V/Spring Pressures used here ?

We run it LOTS of Comp Cams here.... never a problem ?
So I gotta ask things like WTF kind of V/Spring Pressures are people trying to run these Flat Tappet Cams in on ?
Doesn't matter if you use good Oil with Zinc and then trying running a Flat Tappet Cam in on 300+ Lbs over the nose ! = DONE like dinner !
I'd have to check on that. But the cam specs were given to me for the installed cam. The cam that was used was from Summit Racing and the specs were almost identical.

COMP Cams CL21-672-4 Nostalgia Plus​

Previous cam was a Bullet cam with 506 lift.

Auto Transport Service
Back