• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp Cams.. issue while breaking in a cam.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
I installed this cam and lifters the a few weeks ago. It ran fine at first during cam break in. Was in it about 6 good minutes and then all hell broke loose and it sounded like ****. Tinny popping sound coming from the engine. I had JJ shut it down. He had already bought a new engine so last weekend I installed that one. So I have his old 440 here to see what the malfunction was. I get out there today and this is what I found.

Just yard the lifter out and see if some junk got stuck in the hole.

I will at some point. I actually think the engine was damaged prior to installing the cam. I think it may have a burnt valve or 2. I will be pulling it apart to inspect it. Hopefully the cam is still ok. I have a magnet I guess I can pull that lifter out pretty easy.

With factory heads - Yes the lifters are easy to pull and inspect the lobes

Well I just tried to pull it out with my magnet and no go there. I was able to push the rod in enough to pop it out from under the rocker. So its out but the lifter wont slide out.

The lifter/cam wiped and the bottom of the lifter is likely mushroomed over with major wear/damage. 10:1 odds you’ll have to remove the cam and take the lifter out through the cam bore area

Might not bee a good sign on that lifter

Pull off the rocker shaft and rocker arms assembly and go on all the lifters

The lifter/cam wiped and the bottom of the lifter is likely mushroomed over with major wear/damage. 10:1 odds you’ll have to remove the cam and take the lifter out through the cam bore area
My thoughts exactly. I guess its tear down time. was hoping it was ok but I'm with you on the mushrooming of the lifter. And probably wiped out the new cam as well. There needs to be some kind of class action lawsuit over these shitty new lifters. I have heard of lots of bad lifters over the past few years. Something needs to put an end to shitty lifters.

Shitty ignition coils also while your at it

But those are cheap enough and don’t require an engine rebuild when stranded on the side of the road looking like an idiot with the hood up and you don’t have a spare

The cheap knock off Orange boxes too. Less than a year one on the roadrunner took a dump.

Not so Good old Comp Cams. Now they want you to buy a Nitride process for extra$$. Howards for me from now on. When you call Comp they say we never heard of that before. My buddy went through 3 before he went Howards Hyd roller.

Hughes guarantees non flat if you buy the matching springs too.

when you assemble the motor make sure each lifter spins in the bore when turning the cam By hand, you may have to move them around until you get everyone to turn noticeably.

Update worse than first thought. I now have 5 lifters that are pooched. Won't come out. Going to pull the cam when it gets cooler out. Little warm in the shed.

Just so you guy's understand. I used VR1 oil which is the same thing I used when I broke in my 440's cam. I also used assembly lube on the cam and lifters. I am going to have to re check the push rod lengths to figure out what happened.

Sorry to hear/see the failure above. Lifters made of crap-anium. Which is why I use factory lifters & have them re-faced. Just had another set done this week. Zero failures in 40+yrs of using re-faced lifters.

Well got the timing cover, chain and cam out. Used a paper towel roll to send down the cam hole to catch the lifters. None dropped and success was had. But pretty sure I found the issue on the passenger side there was crap in the oiling hole from the head surface down to the cam bearing. Probably gonna have to tear it down and clean the piss out of it.

F1C4DFF7-0835-4FF2-B8A8-CFA7700E867F.jpeg

678625BA-368B-49ED-94AA-4279BF9AB159.jpeg

W
Sorry to hear/see the failure above. Lifters made of crap-anium. Which is why I use factory lifters & have them re-faced. Just had another set done this week. Zero failures in 40+yrs of using re-faced lifters.
Where do you get that done?

I am just gonna throw this out there... I have installed cams by: Comp Cams, Lunati, Howards, EPWi (Sealed Power/Melling), Isky in my motors. I have used lifters by: Comp Cams, Lunati, Howards, EPWi (Johnson Hy-Lift), and others I am sure. I use Joe Gibbs Driven Assembly Grease on the cams and lifters, and use Joe Gibbs Break-In Oil (BR, BR30, BR40). I tell the customers to change the filter after break-in, and run it for 400mi, then change the filter and oil, putting in a high zinc oil like Joe Gibbs Driven: HR1, HR2, HR5. I can say without a doubt, that I have NEVER been told by any customer that they had a cam failure, and I will guarantee that if they did, they would. Proper installation, assembly GREASE, and break-in oil, followed with a proper zinc oil will be the best case scenario.

Auto Transport Service
Back