• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compressor not running

Charlied

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
A few months ago had my factory A/C serviced and converted to 134. Service included new drier, new low pressure switch, adding Pag oil and fixing leak on schrader valve on compressor head, full evacuation recharge.A/C worked well.

Last week turned it on just to run it, nothing, compressor did not turn on. I checked fuses, fine. Can only assume the system is close to empty and that low pressure switch shut everything down. In the past when refrigerant low, compressor would cycle on/off.

Any way I can safely check if switch has failed or confirm system in fact empty.

Repairs as we all well know are expensive these days and 134 running about $5 an ounce.

Car is 74 Satellite Sebring Plus, 400 4 bbl.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Remove wiring from switch. Check with ohmmeter. No continuity means switch is open killing power to compressor

A few months ago had my factory A/C serviced and converted to 134. Service included new drier, new low pressure switch, adding Pag oil and fixing leak on schrader valve on compressor head, full evacuation recharge.A/C worked well.

Last week turned it on just to run it, nothing, compressor did not turn on. I checked fuses, fine. Can only assume the system is close to empty and that low pressure switch shut everything down. In the past when refrigerant low, compressor would cycle on/off.

Any way I can safely check if switch has failed or confirm system in fact empty.

Repairs as we all well know are expensive these days and 134 running about $5 an ounce.

Car is 74 Satellite Sebring Plus, 400 4 bbl.

Any thoughts? Thanks
If it was worked on just a few months ago, I'd take the car back and tell them it stopped working and let them deal with it.

If you didn’t change your hoses to barrier type hoses get used to topping it off . Old hoses don’t play well with 134A. That being said all Orings should be serviced too. It does sound like you have a leak somewhere , look for oily residue and if not noticeable add a little charge and some UV dye then chase the leak with a black light.

If you didn’t change your hoses to barrier type hoses get used to topping it off . Old hoses don’t play well with 134A. That being said all Orings should be serviced too. It does sound like you have a leak somewhere , look for oily residue and if not noticeable add a little charge and some UV dye then chase the leak with a black light.
This... Plus the fact the RV2 front seal doesn't have the best success rate with R134

Auto Transport Service
Back