• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering Fuel Injection for '70 Charger

streetmachine

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
As the title of the post suggests in the future I'm considering adding fuel injection to a 70 Charger with a stock/mild '76 440 in it. I'm trying to make sure my bases are covered with parts and other things I would need to consider. Also, just looking to ensure that I'm making the right decision(s).

Anyways, so the parts I'm considering using the FiTech Injection setup atop a stock cast iron intake manifold. So, I'm just wondering if I would be okay with the throttle body atop the stock intake? For the kickdown or throttle pressure linkage, I have a BPE setup installed now with use of the stock Thermoquad but, wondering if my BPE (Bouchillion Performance) would work or do I need something different?

The reason I'm asking about those things is because I like the stock appearance with the factory dual snorkel intake. So, that leads to my next set of questions in regards to the fuel system. Let's address the fuel tank, I see that Holley has a fuel tank setup with a pump and sending unit already installed. I also, see that I can buy a tank from TanksInc and add my own fuel pump/sending unit. If I need to do my own tank I'm wondering if an aftermarket factory sending unit would be okay along with a Aeromotive Phantom Stealth Fuel System? Is that system overkill for a stockish 440? Just wondering what brand of fuel and size of hose I should use? I believe 3/8 for the main hose/line and 1/4 for the return?

The other thing I'm curious about too is the ignition setup. If I want the system to control the timing then I've been told an MSD Billet setup is what I might need? Anyways, thank you in advance.

As the title of the post suggests in the future I'm considering adding fuel injection to a 70 Charger with a stock/mild '76 440 in it. I'm trying to make sure my bases are covered with parts and other things I would need to consider. Also, just looking to ensure that I'm making the right decision(s).

Anyways, so the parts I'm considering using the FiTech Injection setup atop a stock cast iron intake manifold. So, I'm just wondering if I would be okay with the throttle body atop the stock intake? For the kickdown or throttle pressure linkage, I have a BPE setup installed now with use of the stock Thermoquad but, wondering if my BPE (Bouchillion Performance) would work or do I need something different?

The reason I'm asking about those things is because I like the stock appearance with the factory dual snorkel intake. So, that leads to my next set of questions in regards to the fuel system. Let's address the fuel tank, I see that Holley has a fuel tank setup with a pump and sending unit already installed. I also, see that I can buy a tank from TanksInc and add my own fuel pump/sending unit. If I need to do my own tank I'm wondering if an aftermarket factory sending unit would be okay along with a Aeromotive Phantom Stealth Fuel System? Is that system overkill for a stockish 440? Just wondering what brand of fuel and size of hose I should use? I believe 3/8 for the main hose/line and 1/4 for the return?

I would definitely go FiTech and yes I run one, with a "dropped" stock air cleaner with a high rise manifold. You would be best to run a stock manifold to get lots of clearance under the hood. A FiTech uses Holley style linkage and is the same height as a stock carb. I also use a BPE kick down and it works great. I'm sure there's enough cable to attach it in exactly the same spot on the TBI depending on weather the original carb was a Holley or an Edlebroke.
I run an Aeromotive 1000 in-tank pump but many other's will do. The Aeromotive comes highly recommended and is PWM ready. Your Fitech will control pump speed nicely. Parker lines are best to use ( solid not recommended ) and are capable of 3000 psi with an anti-abrasion coating. Once in place they look great with their fabric outer layer. I run 3/8 feed and 1/2 return as not to interfere with the operation of the internal regulator in the FiTech but I see no reason you can't go one size smaller for both. A FiTech will control spark on all MSD boxes but you'll have to lock out the timing on the distributor. I run these units on a '64 Ford with a stroked 302 and on a 512 stroker in my Mopar. I had a MSD TBI originally but there are not enough "user" adjustable settings so it had to go. MSD's offering is the only one that is California legal hence the lack of control. It is better to buy a Fitech one size larger in HP than you think you need so you can use it in the event that you "rod" the engine in the future. The price difference is really minuscule. I can not think of one thing negative to say about FiTech after running them for 2 years so I have to give it 5 STARS when installed properly.

I’d stick with Holley, either the Sniper or Terminator system. With either one, you can control timing, cold start ramp up and decel to your idle rpm (aka new car), adjust all fuel and timing points throughout the rpm range, data log, adjust on the fly, etc. Not too sure if FITECH can do 1/2 that.

Fitech and Holley both have nice setups, either will be fine with your set up, ignition control is fairly simple on the fitech, pro billet plugs directly in to the fitech unit all you have to do is lock out the distributor. The hose sizes you mentioned are fine, only thing I recommend is run an electric fuel pump and don’t go with the fuel command center

Old guy here. It's a long road. Good luck. Fuel issues etc. I am happy with the 850 Demon 4 on mine.

I’d stick with Holley, either the Sniper or Terminator system. With either one, you can control timing, cold start ramp up and decel to your idle rpm (aka new car), adjust all fuel and timing points throughout the rpm range, data log, adjust on the fly, etc. Not too sure if FITECH can do 1/2 that.

Actually the FiTech can do all that. It is based on OEM GM fuel injection as the two main guys at FiTech are ex GM Engineers. As Yatzee said, if installed CORRECTLY, I, too, give it 5 stars.

Old guy here. It's a long road. Good luck. Fuel issues etc. I am happy with the 850 Demon 4 on mine.

Hey, old guy, I don't even remember when I was YOUR AGE...lol. With as much as you drive your car long distances, I'd be really interested to see what your mileage improvement would be with a FiTech unit. I imagine the performance wouldn't change much but others with single throttle bodies (I have a crossram with 2), such as HT413 (Dan) have raved about the response and smoothness of operation. And, remember, since it's based on GM parts, reliability and parts availability, should the need arise, isn't a problem. Food for thought...

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread and I will refer back to this thread for any other information.

Not all the FI tech units support ignition control, so double check before buying.
I think any magnetic pickup distributor can be made to work with the EFI. Locking out the advance is not a big deal, but phasing the rotor is why most used the MSD. MDS sells a rotor kit that allows simple adjustment of rotor phasing. On a stock magnetic dist, you might have to re-drill / tap the plate to re-position the pickup to phase the rotor.

I have a Fitech mean street 800hp unit on on a 512 stroker, works so well I'm in the process of installing a Fitech go efi 600hp unit on a 383. I would recommend what ever system you choose, go with a good in tank pump. I had an external electric pump, but had problems with fuel slosh, even at half a tank. Installed a fully baffled tank, with a intank pump and no more problems

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back